Monday, June 23, 2008

I got home early Monday morning (late Sunday night) from playing hockey to read that George Carlin had died. He had a history of heart problems, and died of heart failure at the age of 71. When I was in high school, I wrote a paper about Carlin and his "Seven Dirty Words" citing how obtuse the FCC laws were (at that time) for obscenity, other than those specific words. I always enjoyed Carlin and his brand of intelligent humor. I loved his bit about euphemisms - how people aren't "crippled" they're "handi-capable" - they're not "deaf" they're "hearing impaired." Carlin quipped, "I keep waiting for a rape victim to be referred to as an involuntary sperm recipient." He hosted the first episode of Saturday Night Live in 1975 and appeared some 130 times on the Tonight Show. There simply aren't comics left like George Carlin. He will be sorely missed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

I remember seeing George Carlin in concert probably 20 years ago. The one thing that stands out from that night was how hard I was laughing and how it pissed people off around me because they couldn't hear what he was saying. I hope to get a chance to laugh that hard again sometime. In fact, I was just talking with a friend the other day about the "seven dirty words" and we both cracked up at the fact that I could remember them. He was truly a brilliant person and a master a his craft.

4:25 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Carlin's loss is a big one. Very sorry to hear about it.

Kings Fan - Go see David Sedaris live. I've laughed like that seeing him. It's almost embarrassing, but so damned entertaining that you don't give a rat's ass about how hard you're laughing.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home