Thursday, August 07, 2008

You may have noticed while watching just about any show on HGTV that they tend to have a lot of narration or voice over in them. Since the story or the angle of the show can change based on notes from producers or networks, the voice over is always temporary, recorded by the editor, and isn't actually voiced by the host of the show until after the show is completed. It can be a little daunting when you first start doing it, hearing you own voice all the time, and turning in cuts for producers to watch with your voice in it. It's always weird when you walk past someone else's room and hear your own voice coming out.

When I was at a work party last weekend, I was introduced to someone who works on HH. They work in another building in the west valley so I never get to meet any people from the show. She said, "Oh! It's nice to put a face with a name! You're the one with the CNN voice!" It took me a second to figure out why she said CNN. When it dawned on me, I said, "You think I sound like James Earl Jones?" She said, "Oh! No...um...I just meant...you know...you have a nice news read." I answered, "Um...thank you?"

2 Comments:

Blogger dnetrunner said...

you totally don't sound like James Earl Jones!

I hate hearing my own recorded voice too. It would be very strange to hear it walking down the hall...

7:36 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I also don't like the sound of my recorded voice. It's also weird when I have people ask me if I am a professional announcer when they hear me do the PA announcements for our baseball games where I work. I have had no training at all, so it's kind of weird to hear people compliment me. I totally understand how you feel.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home