Friday, October 10, 2008

I mentioned earlier that I've been thinking of going to Iceland in the next year. Since I've technically only been an employee where I work for about 6 months, I have no vacation time to speak of. We get two unpaid weeks off at Christmas, and other than that, I will only get one week next year. I've always worked through Christmas, at least for one week of it, making it home for maybe 5-6 days. I'm always exhausted and unrested by the time the New Year rolls around. One thing I am bound and determined to do this year is NOT work over the holidays, regardless of what I decide on doing.

I bought a tourism book on Iceland the other day and was surprised at how mild the temperatures there are. During the summer months, highs are in the low 60s, and in even the dead of winter, temperatures hover right above freezing. I can deal with cold. I can even deal with cold and dark (it's only light about 6 hours out of the day in December there). The tourism book made it look like the weather is A-ok there, even in the off season. Then I looked at the weather on the internet - right now, it is in the 40s and raining there, with projected rain for the rest of eternity. I then Googled Icelandic weather and discovered it pretty much rains there all the time. So the question is - can I handle cold AND dark AND...wet?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just plunk yourself down in some hot springs and you'll be just fine.

-saladbats

10:19 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Edit - I think they are having some sort of economic crisis right now, too. I just saw something about it on online news in the last week or two, but didn't stop to catch the details as I was too worried about our own economy.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I read the same thing about iceland.... apparently they have a large banking system and so the crisis. If you want cold dark and wet why not just go home for the holidays?? I think Chile sounds like a better idea if you want weather.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home