Saturday, October 11, 2008

I've mentioned in the past how some of the guys on my hockey team like to go out to IHOP after a game. We almost always end up at the same IHOP - the one closest to the rink - assuming the game is early enough to get there before they close. That late at night, we usually have the same waiter, and we've come to know him over the past year or so. Nice kid. We leave him a good tip and he doesn't seem to mind giving us stuff that isn't necessarily on the menu, and doesn't mind when we walk in 15 minutes before close.

When we were there last week, James, Jeff, Dean and I were finishing up our meals when he came over and said, "If you don't mind my asking, what do you all do for a living?" I thought it was cool he felt he knew us well enough to ask. We all told him, and when he realized we all made a comfortable amount of money, he proceeded to try to sell us on what was clearly a pyramid scheme. Wow, was than an uncomfortable moment. James immediately got up in sudden need of a restroom, and I was pinned on the other side of Jeff, unable to escape. Between Dean, Jeff and I, we all politely said no, but the kid was having problems taking no for an answer. He just kept pushing and pushing, and we had to pretty much back out of the restaurant with our hands on our wallets.

I had an old high school friend send me an e-mail with a similar pitch in it just a few months ago. I couldn't believe she could be so naieve to think one could get rich with such a scheme, and almost sent her an e-mail back saying, "Hey - you might want to check your account - it looks like someone is spamming people with a pyramid scheme with your e-mail address."

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

6 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Ahh, the old Ponzi scheme is cycling back in. They train their monkeys on the hard sell, no wonder you were uncomfortable. Ditto a time-share presentation, by the way.

No one recently has tried to reel me in, but I hate it when I get a message from a friend who invites me over for a "meeting." It usually means Amway (or whatever they're calling themselves these days).

There's always The Kettle for after-hockey. They're open 24 hours, too.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

The guy who cuts my hair and been pushing his pyramid deal for several years now, but I have always politely said no. Turns out he's made quite a bit of money off it, but he's a good salesman and puts in a lot of time and effort. Me? I hate sales with a passion, so it would not benefit me very well. Plus, I don't want to try and sell things to my friends.

12:33 AM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Ya, we have friends that are into Primerica. You have to be a special kind of person to pursue people like that. They are out to "Help Folks." I do have thier life insurance now, though.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Randy Roadz said...

So, are you going back to that IHOP??

9:35 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Randy - I'm going to say probably not.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I hate those pyramid schemes! I can't believe that kid asked you that at iHop!

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home