Friday, October 31, 2008

I've recently gotten back in touch with a lot of old high school classmates through Facebook and have found it really interesting to see how some of them have turned out and how their lives are today. When I was in school, I didn't fit into any one clique. I had a small group of friends that I hung out with, but really, I was friends to all groups. I knew people who were jocks, stoners, band geeks, drama students, art students, brainiacs, punks, gay and straight, black and white. Sometimes I surprised even myself to find who I might be hanging out with on any given night, especially as the end of high school drew near.

My old friend, Reid, who I've written about before (I recently saw him in Seattle when visiting Robert) just posted a bunch of photos from high school - high school the way HE experienced it, and some of the photos really moved me because I found that even though I wasn't a part of the group of kids he hung out with back then, I was at the same place emotionally. I thought I'd share a few photos here (I hope Reid doesn't mind).

This photo, from 1987, Sophomore year in high school, with our good friend, Sara (she sometimes posts here under the name Saladbats).

I don't remember who the other person in this photo is, but Reid's caption perfectly summed up the moment: "Childlike innocence in a photo booth. No job, no prospects. Portland, 1991."

I found this old photo of myself and Sara, also. I'm pretty sure this is summer right after high school graduation during those months where all you can think is, "What do I do NOW?"


Then I saw another photo from junior high that another old classmate posted and I thought, Man - I can't relate.

Back in the day, I was an angst ridden teen. Now, I look back somewhat fondly on those times which surprises me. Still, I look back fondly knowing there's no way in hell I'd ever go back there for ANYTHING.

In The Breakfast Club, everyone had a label. You were either a jock, a princess, a brain, a criminal, or a basket cast. Which one were you, if any?

5 Comments:

Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

I was also a hybrid. I was a band geek, stoner, artist and basket case.

:-)

3:13 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

I was misunderstood, and a basket case!

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pic of Reid and I is one of my all time fav photos ever.
And looking at all his photos has brought a smile to my face. Look at us all, so young and innocent and with the whole world ahead of us. That feeling of anticipation was exciting, but I too could not be lured back to those times for any amount of riches. I like who I am now, I like the sum total of experience that make up what I am and who I will be in the future.

-saladbats

10:00 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Like you, I didn't fit into one clique, I had friends in all of them. But I think there was a perception that I was a "smart stoner."

10:48 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I didn't fit into any one group and was basically friends with a lot of different groups. Although I played sports, I wasn't the "jock" because I hung out with the guys that didn't play sports. If I could go back to that time I would because it was innocent (compared to now). There's no way in hell I'd want to be a teenager now.

Two words: Nice mullett

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home