Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving. It's my favorite meal of the year. Fresh roast turkey, mashed potatoes, fresh rolls, pie...what's not to like? Our "dinner" today starts at 2pm. I only assume that it happens this early every year to ensure you have enough hours to totally gorge yourself on food before you have to go to sleep. I'm going to my neighbor's this year, where they will be deep frying a turkey. I've had it before, and it's very good, so I'm looking forward to it. One of the neighbors has also been making his own home made ice cream for the occasion, so I'm definitely looking forward to that, too.

I have to be honest. I'm having trouble thinking of things to write today because all I can think about is eating turkey later. Oh - I did go to the ENT yesterday, and the tonsils DO have to come out, so that will be a nice Christmas two weeks off. And I'm sure it's not nearly as painful as all the doctors have suggested. (Seriously - if any of you reading have had your tonsils removed as an adult, fill me in!)

I'll just skip to the song of the day today. It has occurred to me as I flip through my collection that I really should keep a list of songs that I've already used because I'm already forgetting what has and hasn't made the list so far. For today, I've chosen "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco. I'm not sure what the actual stats are, but I'd guess Falco is probably the only person to have broken the American Top 10 with a song sung almost entirely in German. And more than once. I think "Der Kommisar" must have at least made the Top 20, and I'm talking about the original version by Falco, not the crappy english remake by After the Fire. "Rock Me Amadeus" came off the album Falco 3 in 1986 which featured the other hits "Vienna Calling" and "Jeannie." While I never bought any of his albums, I always liked the hits Falco had, and always loved his sound - an odd mix of European tehcno and mainstream american pop. Sadly, Falco (born Johann Hölzel) died in a car accident in 1998 at the age 0f 41 in the Dominican Republic where he was residing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

my advice (still having tonsils) is to befriend the home made ice cream making neighbor to make sure you get some to help along your recuperation!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home