Friday, November 24, 2006


Had a really great time on Thanksgiving yesterday once dinner began. Before that, it was just errands and WAITING to eat some turkey! I was invited to spend the holiday with my neighbors, Jeff and Katherine, and their 2-year-old, Sofie, along with their other friend, Camille. To his credit, Jeff prepared most of the meal. Katherine helped, too, but hey - Jeff was cooking pecan pies for days, and was also the one to deep fry the turkey after injecting it with garlic and cajun spices. (Yum!) Not to mention the home made ice cream he made.

The dinner was great, as was the company. After dinner and desert, we began to play my new "Totally 80s" version of Trivial Pursuit. I have to admit, despite having grown up in the 80s, I have somehow avoided playing a full game of Trivial Pursuit until yesterday. I had NO IDEA how long it can take to play! I couldn't tell if a game normally takes that long, or if we, as a group, were just abnormally daft at answering questions. But I would guess that it took around 4 hours to play the entire game, and had we not been so desperate at that point for the game to be over, it could have gone on much longer.

The four of us playing all have artistic backgrounds, and were all relatively strong in the Music, Movies, and TV departments. The hardest category for us was Sports & Leisure. Most of the questions would start something like, "Who held the American League West record..." at which point, the player would just say, "Oh, God...I have no idea." Kat was leading the game until she had the last wedge needed in the Sports & Leisure category. She missed question after question. Then when Jeff needed that final wedge...he got a Leisure question about Pac Man. And somehow, though I know a LOT of movies from the 80s, I kept getting asked Woody Allen questions, and I don't think I've seen more than two of his movies ever (Hey, look! He's neurotic and self-deprecating! How novel!). Next time, we'll play teams, and I already have dibs on my friend, Kings Fan, who will know all those sporting questions none of us could answer.

At any rate, a great Thanksgiving evening. And the 80s theme will, of course, roll right into the song of the day which is "Modern Love" by David Bowie. I was a little too young for the whole 70s Bowie Ziggy Stardust thing, but I found myself fascinated by Bowie in 1983 when he released the album Let's Dance, which included "Modern Love" and some other great singles. Compared to other musicians of the time, who were all pretty much in their early 20s, this was an older guy (he was 35 when this album was released), wearing a fashionable suit, looking like some sort of model, singing rock music on stage. I remember Bowie considered himself some sort of actor (in fact, he still acts, and was recently in the Prestige) and his videos were always interesting to watch. I think the orginal version of "Blue Jean" was 19 minutes long or something. At any rate, "Modern Love" is a GREAT song, definitely a crank-it-up-in-your-car type of song.

3 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

What a coincidence! We played Trivial Pursuit (Pop Culture edition) after our Thanksgiving meal, too! Yes, it's best to have well-rounded teams, if possible.

Glad you had a happy day.

p.s. Yes, the puppy is a chocolate lab. :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Love me the Trivial Pursuit and would love to play the 80s version. Just so you know, I am more than a one trick pony and can answer more than just sports questions. I've won a same of three with my well-rounded knowledge of the world.

Did you get a chance to see the VH1 Classic 5-hour marathon of the Top 100 Songs of the 80s? A lot of your typical songs, but a few that brought back some good memories. Would love to see a Top 100 Obscure 80s Songs That Were Really Awesome But Will Never Get the Exposure They Deserve. You think that title would fit in the screen?

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring your "Kings Fan" and lets do teams next week!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home