Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Serenity Prayer:

"God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference."

I don't believe in God, but I do believe in this prayer. It's one of the only things that I got from 12-step meetings that ever really helped me. Even though I haven't been to a meeting in years, I still find myself repeating these words by rote whenever I'm in a moment of crisis, like during turbulance on an airplace. I've found myself repeating those words ever since I got out of surgery today.

The pain is manageable. It's more the uncomfortableness of my throat, which I'll explain later, when I have the concentration to be able to do so.

I actually managed not to forget about Wally before posting today's blog. Here he is from about a year ago, when we hiked to the top of Echo Mountain via the Sam Merrill trail in Pasadena. There are ruins from the late 1800s where an expensive hotel once stood, that burned to the ground only about 10 years later.


The song for the day is "Into the Groove" by Madonna. Those who know me will be surprised by this pick. I was never much of a Madonna fan. I didn't appreciate her until the 80s were long gone, but this is one of her songs that I've always liked. It hails from her 1987 album, "You Can Dance," and I believe it was her 5th LP release. I'll tell you, I had absolutely no idea when I heard her back then that she would become the performer she is today. I saw her as a flash in the pan. But it's no surprise that she DID succeed. She became somewhat of an inspiration of young girls, could dance like hell, and actually wrote much of her own music, unlike other manufactured pop artists of the day. She also pushed the envelope every chance she got. Obviously, I never would have made a decent record rep. I would have signed a bunch of bands who had single hits, and passed on acts with staying power like Madonna.

7 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Wow - you are already out of surgery???? Hope the discomfort remains manageable. That is a very cool photo of Wally, and looks like a neat area to hike.

p.s. I always pray before take off and landing . . .

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you blogged today! Now that's perseverence ;).

Remember...don't pull a Nicole Richie on us and get addicted to pain killers...or Ice cream for that matter...

Speedy recovery!
Amir

11:07 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Glad to hear you're home and on the road to recovery.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better. Did they say your could have all the ice cream you want?

Wish I was there, take care of yourself.

Rob

7:06 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - hope you're feeling well - - tell me about that hike? I checked out the link - is it crowded?

8:46 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane: I've done that hike a couple of times, and it can be crowded at peak times during the weekends. I would try to go early. Go to Pasadena and head all the way to the top of Lake and you'll see the trail entrance. It's about 2.8 miles up of switchbacks. It's a reasonable hike. And a beautiful view when you reach the top.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - I'll give it a try, thanks!

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home