Sunday, January 28, 2007

Had my birthday get together yesterday. It was really great to get everyone. A little weird, to be honest, to see everyone in the same room at the same time. I can't remember the last time that happened, but it had to have been over 18 years ago when we were all in school. My mom and sisters went all out with decorations with a Hollywood theme, and everyone loved them. The lasagna was great, and my sister's chocolate brownie pie went over well. Everyone is asking for the recipe. It's about 10,000 calories a piece but delightful. I have some photos and other stuff to share, but it's going to have to wait until I'm at home and not on a dial-up connection.

Melanie and I went to the Winterhawks game last night. Sadly, the Hawks lost 2-1 to the Chilliwack Bruins. Apparently, the Winterhawks have been having a season on par with the Kings. If you look at their website, you can see that every headline is trying to spin the fact that they've lost another game. I'll have to post photos of that later, as well as the girl I saw there wearing leg warmers and thongs.

Without my iPod and the ability to search my own blog to see if I've used a particular song before, the song of the day is becoming a challenge. I'm pretty sure I've never used this one. It's "Whip It" by Devo off their 1980 release Freedom Of Choice. I never got Devo and I don't particularly like any of their music, including this song, though it's very catching and had an oddly captivating video (like looking at a train wreck). The reason it came to mind is, seeing all my friends yesterday, I was reminded of a kid named Derek Lux who, in the 4th grade, did his puppet show (it was a class project) to this song. He had sock puppets lip singing to "Whip It" and everyone thought it was hilarious. I was 9 - it's ok to like sock puppets when you're 9.
And just for fun, because I saw my old friend Jason yesterday and was reminded of Rush:


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, if I had a dollar for everytime I snorted Cheetos while jamming some Rush, I'd be a rich man.

And just for the record, there IS no drummer like Neil Peart.

It was great to see you yesterday. It was great to see everyone, actually. I am usually highly uncomfortable in situations like that, but I really had a great time. Thanks for making it happen.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - glad your get together went well! And I can't wait for the leg warmers and thongs photo . . . tres chic!

p.s. I used to work with a gal who slept with one of the guys in Devo after some concert in Ohio . . .

1:30 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Looking forward to the party pix! And I still have my copy of Moving Pictures on vinyl.

lemaster - You may be right about Neil Peart, but Chris Squire kicks Geddy Lee's ass. :)


Diane - Classic!

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey LA-

I wouldn't argue that for a second.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home