Saturday, February 10, 2007

I thought I had the weekend off, but it's turning out to be not so true. It's already 1pm on Saturday, and I've been running around for hours trying to take care of a bunch of errands. On top of that, Wally has been sick to his stomach (probably from his medication) and I'll spare you the details, but my whole house smells of poo. Additionally, I myself left work early yesterday because I didn't feel well, and now I have a day of work to do at home over the weekend. Thank god for Avid Xpress Pro. An editing system that used to cost over $60K can now be bought for your home for under $5K...in my case, WELL under $5K. I can work from home and not go into the studio, but right now, it means editing on my 17" laptop - a limited desktop for video editing.

I also have some work to do on the short film I'm trying to finish up. Hopefully, it will be finished in the near future and ready for the world to see. For now, you can read about it here, especially you Canadians, as it was filmed in Ottawa with Canadian actors.

The song for the day is "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves, quite possibly the quintessential song of the Big 80s. It practically defines the whole happy-go-lucky, Converse All Star, bi-level hair wearing that was 80s pop music and is the perfect summer song. Their 1985 self-titled album was actually their 3rd, but the first to be released in the U.S. They were definitely a one hit wonder, at least in this country. Band members of The Waves would go on to form the Presidents of the United States of America of semi alt rock fame. "Sunshine" has been used in many a commercial and movie. I think my favorite is in High Fidelity when Jack Black cranks up this song in the indie record store and dances around like a maniac.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Man, you're having a rough week, eh? I hope the universe sorts itself out soon, so you can get back to some semblance of a sane and normal life, editthis.

KJC (who is walking on sunshine)

2:08 PM  
Blogger LA said...

That was a great scene from High Fidelity. I loved that film (and book). Your freelance work sounds like fun, and how great is it to work from home? At least that way you can keep an eye on poor Wally.

2:38 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

la - That WAS a great scene, and I loved the book, too. Most things by Nick Hornby are pretty decent, and they usually make good movies out of them. I wish I could work from home all the time. It definitely helps being able to sit here and edit with the front door open so that Wally can make his way to the front yard whenever he needs to.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Ok, now that song will be in my head all day! Poor Wally . . . a nice lady in town just opened up a pet bakery/store. So the girls and I went to the grand opening and they got gourmet dog pastries, and Hanna got a pink squeaky crab she has already destroyed. I'm working at home this weekend too - I'll check out the Canadian film, and I'd love to hear more about what you actually do in editing.

p.s. love Hornby and I thought they did a good job adapting the book

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hey hey . Thanks for the plug for the short film ;).

I am also linking the cast and crew on http://www.myspace.com/amir_makes_films

So Canadian folks, if you are looking for really great talent, please contact my cast and crew...you will be very happy.

--cheers
Amir

7:22 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Your blog just popped up on my Google alert this morning. Now I'm going to have that song in my head all day long!
Thanks for your sweet comments.

Katrina Leskanich
Katrina and the Waves
www.katrinasweb.com

1:19 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Wow a comment from the real Katrina. How cool is that?! Loved the movie, the song and I have a Presidents of the United States CD to boot.

Hope Wally is feeling better soon. Oh,and you too.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home