Thursday, February 08, 2007


I'm about 99% sure I saw Alex Winter on Bones last night. I didn't even know he still acted. Not since Peter Scolari has an actor wished he had become nearly as famous as his early acting partner.

I'm on my second day of dailies for my second show, four hours of film has already been transferred, and yet I don't have a single complete scene to begin editing, which means I get to sit around and do nothing for half a day while I get behind. Thankfully, the schedule for this episode isn't nearly as short as the last one. I should hopefully get to make up the time later on.

I got an e-mail yesterday from one of my best friends. He's done many, many things in his life, including spending the better part of three years working in Antarctica. While he was there, he became very close with a doctor and his wife, a nurse. Many, many years later, they still keep in touch. He recently saw them and they told him about the work they are currently doing in Africa, trying to help the sick and the poor. The beautiful thing about what the doctor and his wife do is that they don't do it under the flag of any country, nor under the name of any church. They do it solely on their own financing, and have turned down assistance from many a church. They themselves live in near poverty, spending everything they have to further their own aid mission. My friend, moved as he was by their story, asked what he could do to help. He's now decided to spend September of this year with them in Tanzania helping to build a new laboratory for disease prevention and detection. He'll spend 12 hour days running wire, painting walls, carrying ladders.

Not sure why I'm mentioning this at all except that I was very moved by his decision to do this, although knowing him, it doesn't surprise me at all. Jason has never ceased to amaze me with all that he has accomplished in life. If you asked him, he may very well tell you he hasn't done much, but it's so far from the truth. He is the ultimate reliable friend who would give you the shirt off his back, so seeing him do something like this seems almost predictable. I hope he makes a difference over there, with what little time he has, and that he returns home safe and healthy.

The song for the day is "I Don't Mind At All" from Bourgeois Tagg off their 1987 album Yoyo. I don't know much about these guys, Brent Bourgeois and Larry Tagg (produced by Todd Rundgren), though I'm familiar with a few of their songs. This song was a flash in the pan and often not remembered by many, but it was very Beatlesque and reminiscent of "Yesterday." If you've never heard it, see it here:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason seems like a great guy. And so do the doctor and nurse...

In Pakistan, there is a guy called Edhi , who has created the largest social programs network (clinics, hospitals, orphanges, ambulances, etc)in the country which dwarfs Pakistann's own social programs...

The interesting thing is that Edhi has always been penniless. Even now, he lives in immense poverty. All the organizations are funded by donations from people. He never accepts money from any government, and not even and other aid organizations, and certainly nothing from any religious organizations.

The approach and struggle seems very similar to the Doctor and Nurse couple!

Thanks for sharing Jason's story.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Thank you for sharing the story about your friend. He is an inspiration. And while none of the people you mention are doing these amazing things under the banner of a church, temple or mosque, it is my belief that the road to heaven, or nirvana or whatever you may want to label it, is paved with good acts and helping others.

It is easy to speak about Christian charity or helping others - it is much more difficult to put that into action.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Yup, that was Alex. I had a bit of a crush on him from The Lost Boys, but it wasn't until Bill & Ted that he became super famous -- well, for a while, there, anyway. He's a good actor, better than Keanu, IMHO, and I'm glad he's still appearing in good projects that are worthy of his talents.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. speaking of Winter, the Lost Boys soundtrack is really good!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Yes, it is! I have the movie on VHS (I'll buy the DVD soon) and the music CD. You know that song "Cry Little Sister" by Gerard McMann? Recently, Gerard and I became friends and he's offered to lend me that song for my TV series. I already know exactly which episode I want it for, too!

11:48 AM  
Blogger wsu said...

So is thia the Jason that I know and you know or another Jason? It sounds like the same guy, but wow I am surprised- and not all at once. He has always been a look at the big picture type of person and I always admired him for that.
Jen

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home