Sunday, February 18, 2007

It's a beautiful day outside today. A perfect day for mountain biking in the hills behind JPL as my friends and I will be doing later today. I haven't been biking since our mishap last month, and either has Keary, who got over 30 stitches in his face after the fall he took off his bike. Let's hope today is a much safer ride.

It's funny how quickly the weather can change here in Southern California. It's usually only about a 2 week transition from turning your heat on to turning your air conditioning on. Just a couple of weeks ago, it was quite cold out at night, but last night I slept with the window open.

Here's an odd story from the internet, and a reminder that we should all try to make friends who will check on us if they haven't heard from us in a couple of weeks. In New York, police were called to a home to investigate a report of a burst water pipe. Inside the home, they discovered the 70 year old resident sitting mummified in front of a blaring television set. Vincenzo Ricardo, who had died of natural causes, was a diabetic and had been blind for years. When his neighbors stopped seeing him around, they assumed he had been moved to a long term care facility. No one knew why the power to his home had never been turned off, since he hadn't been heard from since December of 2005. Again, make friends!

Could it be possible that I've never used a Blue Oyster Cult song as the song of the day? I'm going a little out of 80s mode to bring you "Don't Fear The Reaper" off the band's 1976 album Agents of Fortune. I could have stayed in the 80s ("Burnin' For You"), but it wasn't parodied on SNL and I wanted to link to that here. One of the best skits ever. I saw these guys perform in the late 80s in a very small club in Portland, and it was a great show.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you go to that BOC show with me? They still come around to that same club every single year. I still go see them, every single year. I still love the show, every single year. I am an old man.

12:05 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Don't Fear the Reaper is like an anthem to all ex-stoners everywhere.

Enjoy your day biking, it sounds most fun, even though the weather seems to be changing every five minutes.

12:12 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Jason - yeah, we went to that show together at the old Starry Night.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home