Monday, March 12, 2007

I've always collected my ticket stubs from concerts, and yesterday, I came across a bundle of them rubber banded together in the bottom of my desk drawer. They're the concerts I went to back in the 80s. I thought I'd list them here to see who could relate. Unfortunately, some of them don't have a date on them, so I'll have to guess.

Cutting Crew c. 1986
The Little River Band 1990
The Rembrants c. 1990
The Alarm 1989
Bryan Adams (with The Hooters) c. 1987
Duran Duran (with The Pursuit of Happiness) 1989
Bob Dylan with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 1986
Pat Benetar (with The Alarm) c. 1985 (That was a great show - 2nd row tickets)
Chicago 1985
Huey Lewis & The News 1984 & 1986
Rick Springfield c. 1990
Night Ranger (with Richard Marx) 1987
Eddie Money 1987 & 1988 (with The Truth) - (New Year's Eve)
Bruce Hornsby & The Range 1987
Journey (with The Outfield) c. 1986
Billy Joel 1990
Prince 1987

and of course...

The Magic of David Copperfield 1991

In honor of the death of their lead singer, Brad Delp, the song of the day is "More Than a Feeling" by Boston. Boston is one of those bands I always liked, but I never really bought any of their records. Maybe I should get a greatest hits. I didn't realize how old this song was until I looked up the album. It was released on the band's 1976 self-titled LP. I'm always one of those people who have said that music from the 70s sucked, but more and more, I'm finding stuff I like that was actually from the 70s, not the early 80s. Not that there WASN'T a bunch of crappy music that decade, but I'm sure you can say that about any decade.

8 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Summer of 1978 I went to a concert at the Anaheim Stadium . . . Sammy Hagar, Van Halen (not together yet of course), Black Sabbath - with Ozzy, ELO and Boston. It was about a million degrees out, and by the time Boston came out it was very, very late

I will say that David Lee and VH did put on a helluva show

10:22 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

"More Than A Feeling" is a song I sing along to in the car and realize that I have a lower voice than the song allows for. You never want to be stuck in a car with me singing. Torturous!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are finally seeing the light about 70s music. There really was so much good stuff back then!!! I look forward to seeing more "Songs of the Day" from that decade!

12:28 PM  
Blogger wcdixon said...

cool list - I have a lot of ticket stubs but not near all (or as many as you)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I've never been one to collect ticket stubs, but if I did, there would be a very interesting list of bands. I'm sure everyone would consider Adam and the Ants somewhat interesting. But, when I got there, the ratio of women to men was, like, 10-1. He shoots, he scores!

Very sad hearing about the death of Brad Delp. Boston was, and always will be, one of those bands that just sounds awesome whenever you play them. They had a true stadium rock sound.

5:51 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Interesting list, although I can't say I am a fan of many of them. "Blood On The Tracks" is an excellent Dylan album.

9:10 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Flix - Funny. Dylan is the one concert I had to be dragged to.

9:12 PM  
Blogger LA said...

What a fun list, Edit! I've seen some of these.

Cutting Crew c. 1986 - Didn't see them, but I loved that song ("I Just Died in your Arms")

The Hooters - check (2-3x) - One time I saw them was at the Roxy. I was right in the front pressed against the stage, and a very wasted Stevie Nicks joined them on stage to sing harmonies on Tamborine Man.

Bob Dylan - Check - back when Universal Amphitheater was still open air

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Check

Chicago - Check

Night Ranger - Check

Eddie Money - Check

Journey - No, but I know someone who is currently in AA with S.P. and reports you're not allowed to use the "J-word" in his presence. So much for anonymous, eh?

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home