Sunday, March 11, 2007

Since I've been doing some editing at home lately, I've come to realize I'm badly in need of new speakers for my computer. The ones I had worked, but I had to turn the volume all the way up which would sometimes cause the dialog to overmodulate. I went to the Apple store last night thinking I would just pick up a $50 pair of speakers. The problem is that, for me, there is never any "just" involved with the Apple store. As soon as I walk in, I see about 100 things I want to buy. Well, I did only buy one thing, but it ended up being a $130 pair of speakers. The included subwoofer is a little overkill for cutting dialog, but I figured, it's a tax write off, so why not?

I ended up buying these Klipsch speakers and hooked them up when I got home. I knew my old speakers had low wattage, but I always thought they were fine, that music sounded good through them, etc. Oh, how wrong I was. I couldn't believe how good the new speakers sounded as I sifted through my iTunes library checking out different songs. In fact, it sounded so good I decided to watch some of The Shield, Season 2 DVD on my computer and I ended up staying up past 1am finishing the whole season.

I thought I'd do myself the favor of setting my alarm for 9am, since I still had work to do and didn't want to sleep so late that I'd have problems getting to sleep Sunday night. I thought I was doing well when I actually woke up right before it went off, but then realized when I logged onto my computer that the time change had occurred and it was almost 10. Sigh.

The song for the day is Andy Taylor's "Take It Easy" recorded in 1986 for the American Anthem soundtrack. Taylor, of Duran Duran fame, struck out on his own with this song, later recording an unsuccessful album to follow it up. Considering the sound of Duran Duran, I was surprised by the rocky guitar sound of this song (albeit a very poppy sound). I liked this song well enough at the time that my junior high band (very badly) covered it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

How did you like the Shield? Was Season 2 the season with the burning tires around the neck episode? I have been watching dvds on my laptop b/c the cheap ass dvd player I bought at Target a while back seems to have gone kaput - something else to add to my to do list

12:37 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

The last time I shopped Apple online I snagged a refurbished iPod! It was like winning the lottery. They were all gone in a matter of days.

Good choice on the speakers.

9:12 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Flix - I buy a lot of refurbished stuff at Apple. If you have Apple Care and it breaks, you're just going to end up with a refurbished one, anyway. I have a 60G video iPod and I also got a 17" G4 Powerbook several years ago for several hundred dollars off retail, and haven't had a single problem with it.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Those speakers look really nice!
I just bought these speakers for my iPod and my Powerbook.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=149730F5&nplm=TE820LL%2FA

They are great!

I totally forgot about the time change.
I missed church today because of it.
Oh well, I attended Bedside Baptist this AM.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home