Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sad news yesterday of comedian Richard Jeni who died at 49 from a gunshot wound to the face, likely self-inflicted according to the 911 call from his girlfriend. I hadn't seen any of Jeni's recent work, but remember him fondly as one of my favorite comedians of the early 90s. Some quotes to remember him by:
"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize...Oh, my God. I could be eating a slow learner!"
I don't know about you, but this time change is kicking my ass. It always amazes me how I can sit on an airplane for 15 hours straight, then hit the ground running in another country with very little jet lag, but set the clocks up an hour, and watch out! For starters, I couldn't get to bed Sunday night, and then I couldn't wake up Monday morning. Here's hoping tomorrow morning will be an easier awakening.

The song of the day is "Should I See" by Canadian rockers Frōzen Ghōst. It was released in 1987 on their debut self-titled album. This is one of those videos I saw on MTV, immediately fell in love with, went out and bought the Compact Disc (one of the first I ever bought), and then never heard from the band again. It was like a musical one night stand. I'm sure no one in the US remembers them, but maybe some of you Canuck's do. If you've never heard of them, check out the video of their anti-censorship song.

7 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

This song is played during MuchMusic's retro days. Love it! Mostly because of the "Na Na Na Na Na Naaaah!" part. It's the part I sing along to.

9:46 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Oh, PS. Isn't 'falling back' much easier than this 'springing forward' stuff? That extra hour is magical in the fall.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

As a non canuck, I don't know the song, but the death of Jeni does make me feel bad

p.s. pardon the extra bad typing but noodles has her head on the keyboad

10:22 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

The time change has really screwed with me, too. My normal bedtime is somewhere around 4am but with the time change I'm going to sleep at 5am. I haven't been able to wake up before noon, which puts a serious crimp in my work day.

12:09 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm sure anyone in Los Angeles remembers Geno Michellini and the 5 O'Clock Funnies that often featured Jeni. RIP.

Edit - I'm with ya on the time change.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

This time change has been really bad this time around. I swear I am so tired, and when I wake up in the morning it is pitch black! I hate waking up when I is still dark outside.

7:53 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

I totally remember this song!

That's too bad about Richard Jeni, I actually didn't realize that a couple of those one-liners were his.

Sleeeeep...it seems like it takes weeks to feel rested after the time change!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home