Tuesday, May 08, 2007

One of the things I'm hoping to do while in Australia is take a day trip to Katoomba and the Blue Mountains, which are about an hour's drive from Sydney. Despite the name, the Blue Mountains are actually a series of cliffs that surround a plateau. It is often referred to as the Grand Canyon of Australia. There are numerous things to do there, including a visit to the three sisters, this rock formation, and tours of the Jenolan Caves. The "blue" name derives from the bluish tinge the range takes on when viewed at a distance, which is caused by the release of volatile oils from eucalyptus forests. In the Blue Mountains, there's an area called Scenic World which seems to be sort of like Universal Citywalk - lots of stores and restaurants, etc. The kicker is that it's at the top of the cliffs and you have to take a cable car to get up there - glass bottomed and at a steep incline. There are other cable cars and walk ways on the cliffs to take you to different scenic areas. It should be a fun day trip, and I'm really looking forward to it. (Except for the high glass bottomed cable car).


The song of the day is "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister off their 1985 album Welcome To The Real World. I loved this song the very first time I heard it and continue to enjoy it. In fact, for me, this is one of the best albums from the entire decade. I was watching a VH1 special once that was something like "Cheesiest Songs Ever" and this was one of their picks. Clearly, I have to totally disagree.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I am sitting in my office, green with envy over your trip . . .

11:34 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Would love to do that cable car trip - maybe someday. I will need pictures of that!

Mr. Mister had some really good music that never made it on the radio. I have a couple (I think) if their CDs and remember the last time I listened to one of them and thought they could have been much bigger.

3:48 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Yeah, I get queasy driving up to Lake Arrowhead. This is one of the sights I'd have to take a pass on (although it looks beautiful).

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Mister was my FAVORITE!
Saw them in concert and had all of their albums. Even early ones that no one cared about. I felt so indy....for 12.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Nice pics of Australia. I look forward to the posts you'll make when you actually get there and give us a full report on your activities.

The first "rock" concert I ever went to was a Mister Mister show here in Ottawa, and while I absolutely loved the band and their music (I still sing their songs often), I was seated behind 3 teenage girls who stood up and danced the ENTIRE time, asses shaking, arms flailing. Not only could I not even see the band on stage, one of the girls actually cuffed me in the mouth a couple of times while she was "dancing".

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home