Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Red Menace strikes again. We played our second game last night which was, granted, against a team that hasn't been that good in the past AND they were missing their ringer. But they seemed much stronger, even without their #1 guy, and we still beat them 7-1. The true test will be this Saturday when we play a team that we barely beat last season in the playoffs.

Tony Blair stepped down as England's Prime Minister today after 10 years in that position. I had dinner with some friends a few weeks ago, wherein someone who actually was British explained to me why someone like Blair would step down politically, but as with most things political, it slid right off my brain and I can't recall a thing about it. Blair, once a very popular leader, has lost support since 2003 when he followed the United States into the war against Iraq. If only our OWN leader would step down due to unpopularity.

The song of the day is "Escape (The PiƱa Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes off his 1979 album Partners In Crime. As cheesy as it is, admit it - you still sing along to it when you hear it on the radio. Well, I do. Growing up, I always found this song to be rather corny, but when I worked in radio right out of high school, I worked for a station that played this song, and it sort of grew on me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I may be talking out of my ass, but I think Blair is serving his second, and last term. The party in charge gets to decide when to call an election within a certain time frame, so instead of the elections being every 4 years in November like here, in GB the Labor Party (as they controlled Parliament) had the option to call it within some give period. They did that and won, and now Parliament will elect a new leader once Blair steps down, and again, he has the option of when to step down within a given time frame, and obviously does that when it looks like it will be easiest for the chosen Labor Party successor to be elected.

Or I could be completely wrong.

9:21 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Diane: The canadian govt system is similar I believe. In Canada, the govt in power has to call an election every 5 years, however an election can be called at anytime. Also, if the party in power is a minority government, the other parties (Canada has four main parties. Five if you count the emerging Green party. Four again for all the people who don't consider the Bloc Queboquois because they don't have people running in every riding across Canada) could come together to call a non-confidence vote and force an election.

The liberals were in power forever (Jean Chretien was PM for over 10 years) until the other parties (spearheaded by the Conservatives) called a Non-Confidence vote and won. That's why we have our douchebag PM in power now.

That's pretty much how I believe it works, but I'm not an expert.

11:35 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Mishy - Hey! We have a douchebag leader, too!

11:37 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Ironically enough, I just saw The Queen last night. Blair was newly elected PM, and he was enormously popular at the time. Queen Elizabeth tells him at the end of the film that the people will eventually turn on him, and voila... I wake up the next morning to hear the news he has resigned.

He committed political suicide when he got into bed with Bush.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

As cheesy as it is, admit it - you still sing along to it when you hear it on the radio.


I've been known to sing that song from time to time, whether or not it's playing on the radio. Sad but true.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home