Friday, May 11, 2007

Today is my last day at work. Wally and I are here to clean out the office and get some final work taken care of before we're done for the season. Tomorrow, I'm going mountain biking in the morning and have a hockey game at night, and Sunday evening, I get on a plane to Australia.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is seeing the Red Centre of Australia. I've always been fascinated by the Australian Outback, which is also a pretty dangerous place to go with all the animals and such, but I'm dying to see it nonetheless. From Adelaide in Southern Australia, I'll board The Ghan, a train which goes north straight through the center of Australia to Darwin. I'm disembarking in Alice Springs in the very middle of the country, where I'll stay for 5 days. (I have to wait for The Ghan to come through again to take me north to Darwin). During my stay in Alice Springs, I have booked a 2-day trip to see Ayers Rock. It's about a 5 hour bus ride from Alice Springs, and we will visit Ayers Rock (locally called Uluru), The Olgas (another rock formation), and Kings Canyon (similar to the Grand Canyon). I hope to take a ton of very cool photos like these.


The song of the day is "Stone Cold" by Rainbow off their 1982 album Straight Between the Eyes. Rainbow is one of those bands that had a ton of people in and out of it over the years, but this run for them, in the early 80s, was their most commercially successful. While this song had marginal success on the charts, it got heavy airplay on MTV and I will always remember it as one of those essential videos from those early MTV days. Plus, my sister thought their lead singer was pretty dreamy. I think the word she probably would have used back then was a "fox." If you don't remember the song, check out the video:

5 Comments:

Blogger NB said...

Have a great trip!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Have a great time! Can't wait to hear about the trip and see some photos

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a fun and safe trip

5:47 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

After I die, I've made arrangements to have my ashes sprinkled at the base of Uluru, which is a place I've always been drawn to, as if my soul was born there. Think of me when you get there, OK, editthis?

Have a great trip -- don't forget to take lots of pictures and post 'em here when you get back.

KJC

7:51 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Damn, edit, I can't believe your trip is here already.

I hope you have a fantastic time and that you are able to do a little blogging while you are down under.

Bon voyage!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home