Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A friend pointed out to me recently that I had somehow reached #3 on the list of fund raisers for the CCFA 5k run I'm doing next month. At least, I was in third place until 7-year-old Mason edged me out earlier today, just as I thought I was gaining on 10-year-old Emma. I hope Mason realizes I'm gunning for him now. I'm just saying.

I went running down at the Rose Bowl today. I was coming around the side that's bordered by huge parking lots when I saw some motorcycle cops in training riding through an orange cone obstacle course. Let me just say that quite a few cones were being knocked down. I wish I'd had my camera with me because it was pretty funny to watch. I hope they eventually get them out near real pedestrians before they're let loose on the streets.

The song of the day is David Bowie's "Life On Mars" from his 1971 album Hunky Dory. I admittedly came late to the Bowie game because of when I was born (1971, coincidentally). I loved the Bowie of the 80s and the Let's Dance album, but I never knew much of his earlier work. In fact, the first time I heard this song was in the BBC television show of the same name, at the moment I went, "Oh...THAT'S why they called the show that!" The song actually reentered the charts last year in the UK due to the popularity of the show. The story of how this song came to be is an interesting one, and you can read about it here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

That's right - keep paying attention to Mason and Emma, and ignoring the training aspects, and my 37:45 time (while dehydrated and hungover, mind you) is going to remain standing . . .

Saw Bowie a couple of times in concert. The first time was at Dodger Stadium - really too big a venue, and then a few years ago at the Pond - he still looks and sounds great

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good call on the song of the day. That song is great, and Hunky Dory is one of my favorite albums ever. Certainly the best Bowie.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Let's make sure we get Edit over the top and reaching her goal. I'm proud of her effort and the cause she is willing to run for. Good on ya, mate!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home