Friday, July 06, 2007

Some of you who have been reading this blog regularly may remember that I have Crohn's Disease. It's a chronic disease that affects the intestinal tract. I was diagnosed when I was 19, and since there is no cure at this time, I will most likely have it until I die. Since I've recently started (sort of) running again, I've also been looking for a decent 5k to run because though I run 5k regularly, I've never done an actual "run" of any importance. I looked on a web page that listed local runs and didn't see any I was interested in. Out of curiosity, I checked the web page for the Crohn's & Colitis Association of America, and lo and behold, they have a 5k run coming up! I signed myself up online for the August 27 run at the UCLA campus and sent out a mass e-mailing to all of my family, friends and co-workers letting them know they could sponsor me on the run and help raise money for research of the disease among other things. I know a lot of good people, so their generosity should have come as no great surprise to me. However, I have been completely overwhelmed by the donations that have been made to the cause. In less than 24 hours, they helped me raise over $1100 moving me closer to my goal of $2500. If you're interested in making a donation, it's tax deductible. You can click on this link to donate to this cause and sponsor me in my run.

On a side note, some of you were asking the other day about my old band and what instrument I played. You all may have missed my earlier post about my junior high band, as it was only my second post. The answer to the instrument question is I played the bass. For photos, see here.

The song of the day is "Sunset Grill" by Don Henley off his 1984 album Building the Perfect Beast. This is one of my favorite albums from the 80s, and I've always loved Don Henley's style. The song, rumored to have been written on a napkin, speaks of the Sunset Grill, a tiny burger hut down on the Strip. When I first moved to Los Angeles, I was constantly in wonder of all the famous Hollywood landmarks I would see every day - the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theater, the Hollywood Sign - and I counted the Sunset Grill among them.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I have even more respect for you for being willing to post that Alias photo . . . :-) good for you on the run!

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.

Yeah, thanks for that...

10:51 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I like Don Henley's songs, too. 'Sunset Grill' is a fav.

Look at you in skin tight red pleather. You were one hot mamma back in the '80s, girlfriend.

KJC (who is proud to support you in the 5k run)

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and I still have your old Seven to Midnight" T-shirt.
My blessings and support go with you on the 27th.

9:12 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Running in Los Angeles at the end of August is certainly worth my support! Hope you got my donation... my initials are LJA. Props to you for doing the run.

4:53 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

la - Damn. I actually hadn't factored in the whole August in L.A. temperature. At least it's early in the morning and on the cooler side of the hill

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home