Monday, July 09, 2007

I believe I have shown great self-restraint by not buying an iPhone yet. (I think you guys have all lost your bets). I do continue to waffle every day and even yesterday, nearly drove over the Apple store to pick one up, despite the $200 it will cost me to get out of my current Sprint contract. This morning, I read this rather in depth review of the iPhone at Gizmodo and it helps me push on against the iPhone tide that has overtaken Hollywood. Of course, this doesn't mean I might not give in at any moment, but it certainly gives me hope!

I get to go to the doctor's today where I will sit in a room for 3-4 hours and get an IV infusion of a drug for Crohn's Disease. It's always freezing in there and I can never get warm. To make matters worse, he'll give me an additional shot of Benadryl which will pretty much make me fall asleep. When it's all over, I get to wake up, drive across town, and go to work. I have a feeling this will not be a very productive night.

The song of the day is "Bringin' on the Heartbreak" by Def Leppard off their 1981 album High 'n' Dry. The album didn't receive much commercial success, but the video for the song got picked up by recently launched television channel MTV where it rocketed into heavy rotation. The popularity of the video resulted in a re-release of the single which finally made it onto the US charts. One morning, while waiting for my car to be serviced at Volvo, I saw Mariah Carey sing this song on the Today Show. I don't think I've ever been more horrified in my life.

10 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm horrified when Mariah Carey sings anything. She's got the voice, but it's usually over the top. Her singing is nothing compared to her acting though.

The iPhone is just too much for me. Plus, it's not available in Canada yet unless one wants to drive to the states to pick it up. Plus, I feel like I need to get an iPod first, before I jump on the iPhone wagon. I do however, have several friends who are salivating at the very idea of it.

That sucks about your Crohn's. I don't know much about the disease, but from what I do know, it sucks! I hope your IV makes you feel better.

12:21 PM  
Blogger LA said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Sorry to hear about the infusion, but I'm sure the benefits make it worth it. BTW - did you know Theo Fleury also suffers from Crohn's?

I bought an Emerson iPod docking station/alarm clock today for my night table - not so high tech, but it's about my level . . .

Dude - when MTV was first out, Def Leppard RULED it. They used to have a call in on Friday nights for the best video, and we used to watch and call in while we were getting liquored up for the evening . . . (these were my college days - what can i say?) And I still think their songs hold up as good catchy rock tunes

1:25 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

My sister was ridiculously into Def Leppard way back when, so it was my goal to mock her every chance I could. Needless to say, I wasn't a fan of their music so much until I grew out of teasing my sister and gave them a listen to. I still remember her crying for hours when the drummer got into his accident and lost his arm.

3:59 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Actually, Edit, I've got dibs on this Wednesday on the betting.

That said, you hit the nail on the head. On the day the iPhone came out, my relative in the industry sent TWO assistants to wait in line for the iPhone, four hours each, and then he waited the final two for a grand total of a 10 hours of waiting. All for a phone. Insane.

I still love Def Leppard, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got until tomorrow on MY bet.

Hope your day wasn't too miserable and that you'll be able to sleep tonight when you get home.

7:32 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Essentially, it becomes a very expensive experience to become an original iPhone owner. (My used iPod video has 30 gig of storage!) Just imagine what the second or third generation iPhone will look like.

The rewards of simply waiting will be great.

7:11 AM  
Blogger NB said...

I was at a concert last Sunday and a guy in front of me whips out his Iphone and started videoing the stage. The whole crowd of people in back and next to him stopped dancing , started watching him and yelling questions to him.(actually he was hot) but I digress, it was cool.
Hope you're feeling better today, does the IV help your disease or just manage it?

9:44 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

NB - Theoretically, it could put it into remission, but it hasn't happened yet.

10:03 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I hope you don't mind me paying you a compliment on your song of the day choices. Not just today with Def Leppard, but over the past several days - particularly John Lennon, Don Henley, and Chicago. I like your taste in music.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home