Saturday, July 07, 2007

I've spent parts of yesterday and today watching the documentary "The U.S. v. John Lennon." If you haven't seen it, it tells the story of Lennon as he metamorphosed from pop star into anti-war activist. As it turns out, the Nixon administration so feared his influence on the youth of this country that they considered him a radical and kept him under surveillance. They even spent years in court trying to deport him for a trumped up marijuana possession charge that had happened in England years before. It's an interesting film, especially if you're fascinated with Lennon and that period in American history. And I have to say, watching it gave me new respect for Yoko Ono, who was interviewed for the piece. I've often quipped, "She broke up the band, man!" and "If Mark David Chapman had shot a foot to the left, he would have been a hero." However, listening to her being interviewed, and seeing the archival footage of the two of them together, really makes it more obvious why John, being the man he was at that time, could have been so taken with her.

The song of the day is "Imagine" by John Lennon off his 1971 album of the same name. This is quite possibly one of my favorite songs of all time, and it never fails to move me. It's hard not to hear Lennon sing these words and not think he had some pretty good ideas:

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today


Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace


You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one


Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world


You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will live as one

4 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

I have been curious about watching that movie, but haven't pulled the trigger (no pun intended). However, not being a Beatles fan, nor a Yoko Ono fan, it has probably been the reason I haven't seen it. The curiousity is there, so I might eventually see it.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

There is a gallery in Maui that has quite a bit of his art work - he was quite a talented artist too. The galley also has a few piece by McCartney, who has the artistic talent of your average 5 year old

If you haven't checked it out, download Green Day's cover of Lennon's Working Class Hero on iTunes

7:05 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I finally heard Green Day's Working Class Hero on KROQ this week. Hopefully, it gets into heavy rotation.

I think I've got this film in my Netflix queue.

8:03 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I've been meaning to watch it, but just haven't made the time.

I think John's love for Yoko was misunderstood by many people at the time of the Beatles' breakup, but over the years public opinion has improved with regard to Yoko.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home