Friday, July 13, 2007

Happy Friday the 13th everyone! I hope none of you experienced anything creepy or weird today.

The other night, a friend and I went to watch the Los Angeles Kings rookie scrimmage as part of their development camp. It was fun to see, in a very small setting, some strong up and coming players, including some who have already played with the Kings (Jack Johnson and Patrick O'Sullivan). I know zero about hockey scouting, but here's a few of the players who stood out for me:

Brady Murphy, 19-year-old son of former Kings head coach Andy Murray. Murphy has attended several of the Kings development camps, and this past season, has been playing with Switzerland. The scouting report lists him as a smallish forward (5'9") who makes up for it with speed and dexterity.

Brian Boyle, 23-year-old 6'7" Center. Boyle was selected by the Kings in first round of 2003 and has signed a try-out deal with the Monarchs. For the scrimmage, he was pushed back to D for his size. For a player this big, he has finesse and speed.



Wayne Simmonds - 18-year-old right winger selected in the second round just this year. Simmonds made some mistakes on the ice, but seemed to be very tenacious, quick, and a good puck carrier. Simmonds is a former Midget Junior Canadian who has been playing in the Ontario hockey league.

I got all your messages and notes about the iPhone and publishing a blog on it, as well as posting some photos. I'll do both in the next week so stay tuned. And when I post from the phone, I can't attach photos, so I'll have to go back and do that online.

The song of the day is "Baby Hold On" by Eddie Money, the first single from him off his 1978 self-titled debut album. Eddie Money today is more than a little past his prime. I saw him open for another 80s act a few years ago and he had a) not aged well and b) gave the impression he's been playing Vegas a LOT. But back in the day, he was the man. From this early hit to his later music in the mid 80s, it's all enjoyable.

4 Comments:

Blogger NB said...

Friday the 13th ,meh. Glad yours was good..my laptop crashed yet again ( third time in less than a year)..brand new Blackberry inoperable.

Other than that- how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

I'll keep my fingers crossed re the new Iphone.

9:13 AM  
Blogger LA said...

When I hear someone is a "right winger," I totally think something else.

My sister loved Eddie Money, so he was always blasting from her stereo when we were growing up. I still love that song he did with Ronnie Spector, "Take Me Home Tonight."

9:26 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - fortunately, there are left wingers on the teams too! Man - I went to every Kings home game for about 10 years . . . now I can barely identify any of their players. I have a hard time watching hockey knowing that somehow that may signal to the NHL that they don't need to fire Satan Bettman to save the league.

Plus, it's just not the same without the Forum Club . . . :-)

11:53 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Perhaps not too coincidentally, I happen to play left wing.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home