Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Wally Wednesday! I wrote before about my neighbor's dog, Jersey, who died earlier this year. Wally and Jersey were best friends, and here's a photo of the two of them my neighbor sent me.


I read an article in the Wall Street Journal last night about our border with Canada. At a time when the United States is vigilantly cracking down on illegal crossings of the Mexican-American border, as fences are erected and citizens have taken it upon themselves to protect that border, it seems the Canadian border has been well ignored. The International Boundary Commission, in partnership with Canada, is supposed to keep a 10 foot path mowed down on either side of the 5,525 mile border. The problem, as it turns out, is often finding the border. Eighty-two years ago, Canada and the U.S. agreed to mow this strip, "a clear vista to the sky." 8600 monuments were placed to show the border, but over time, many monuments have disappeared. They've been shot up by hunters, frozen and cracked on the Alaskan tundra, blown over in the plains, buried in bogs, and crushed by avalanches in the Rockies. One of the boundary commission's priority projects right now is finding the border between Quebec and New Hampshire. From the article: "In 1842, it was fixed for 20 miles along the center of Hall's Stream. In 1908, the commission set about marking it. But Hall's Stream hasn't stayed put. It has meandered -- 100 yards into Canada here, 200 yards into the U.S. there. The original stream bed is still the official border, but now it's dry, squiggling through dense woods." I found the article very interesting. We've got so much energy pointed toward our southern border, and in the meantime, we can't even really tell where our border to the north is. I don't know why, but I find this immensely funny.

The song of the day is "Hungry Heart" by Bruce Springsteen off his 1980 album The River. Like many artists of Springsteen's era, I didn't appreciate his music until after the fact. When I was working in radio in the late 80s/early 90s, I worked at a station that was a decent Adult Contemporary AM station, considering the small town. We had a play list of about 1500 songs, which is a decent amount, ranging from new music by people like Phil Collins, Richard Marx and Sting to Tommy James & the Shondells, the Doobie Brothers, Poco, etc. I was a 19-year-old with an oddly deep knowledge of bands like the Strawberry Alarm Clock. At any rate, we used to play this song alot. Eventually, we got a new Program Manager who totally stripped down our playlist to less than 500 songs. When I noticed this song was gone, I asked why, and was told it was "far too aggressive" for us to be playing. If you know the song, you know how truly absurd that is.

11 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I hope that program manager found work in another industry. "Hungry Heart" is not too aggressive for any type of music know to mankind.

Interesting info re: the border. I had no idea it was so hard to identify. In the interest of national security, I hope someone is paying attention to keeping it secure.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

The big terrorist plot before 9/11 was to blow up LAX on New Year's eve 2000 - an Arab guy was acting suspiciously when crossing the border from Canada, and fortunately the Border guard was awake enough to notice . . . and found the explosive device in the car . . . but you don't hear the hew and cry to erect a fence along the north.

The Boss remains a strong voice for an America where everyone is given a fair shake. I love his early stuff but my favorite album is probably Tunnel of Love, even though I can't listen to The River without crying

8:25 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. great photo of wally and jersey

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Wally's pic with Jersey!!! It's almost as if he would have put his arm around her if he could!

11:10 PM  
Blogger LA said...

That picture is so damned cute. I bet Wally misses his friend.

8:01 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

That's a fab photo of Wally and Jersey.

I would imagine with the varying climates and terrains it would be difficult to maintain the border Can/US border. There is also the border between Alaska and BC/Yukon to keep. Its still entering another country, right? Very interesting!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Aggressive? Sounds like the kind of program manager I had when I worked in radio. Frakin dork!

I came a little late to The Boss's party, and didn't really get into him until "Born in the U.S.A." 1984. Been a fan ever since (even thought I hated that he cheated on his beautiful wife with his back-up singer)

12:09 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

check it out. I'm ppsting this from an iPhone in the apple store !

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been going to the Apple store every day?

12:52 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Edit, don't buy it!!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home