Thursday, August 30, 2007

I spent a good deal of yesterday prepping for my office makeover, which included emptying out my office. I'm getting rid of most of the furniture in there, except for my desk, and I needed to empty out both large book cases so I could move them. I've always had a very personal relationship with my books. I don't like to let them go. If I've read it, I have to keep it. If someone loans me a book and I enjoy it, I still have to go out and buy it to put on my shelf. Ever since I was a little kid, I've had fantasies of living in some huge mansion where I can have my very own library, the walls lined from floor to ceiling with books I have actually read. Since I want to slim down to one book shelf up there, I knew many of my books would have to be permanently boxed up to go into the garage.

As I was boxing, I have to be honest, I noticed quite a few books that don't really need to stay in my collection, and I think I'll need to have a book sale. I'm pretty sure I don't need any of the textbooks from college, or a thesaurus (since I can do that online now). Nor do I need the lines of paperback science fiction books I read in junior high and high school, or the pulp fiction I picked up for an easy read in the airport. This photo is of the boxes of books I have temporarily stored in my spare shower while I paint and carpet. This doesn't include the other 6 boxes in my garage with things like my Nancy Drew collection in them. When I was a kid, my father used to take bags and bags of books to a used book store and trade them in on more books. This would sort of defeat my purpose. Then, I would just have another round of books I'd have to decide on keeping or trading. Considering the books and furniture I need to dump, I'm seriously considering a garage sale.

The song for the day is "Operation Spirit" by Live off their 1991 album Mental Jewelry. I saw this song on MTV when I was young enough to still watch it, and they were young enough to still play them. The band members were still incredibly young when this album came out, and I was impressed by the depth of their music, especially the lyrics of this song which really spoke to me. This wasn't a big hit for them and they would go on to become a much bigger band, but this is the song I will always remember them for.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I have a few bags of books right now that I'm either going to take to the Goodwill or set out front with a "free books" sign. There are some books I keep, but mostly I am happy to pass along any book I've read and enjoyed to share the experience . . .

So, oddly enough, alot of the books in my built in bookshelves I haven't read, which makes me look like an idiot when someone peruses the shelves and makes inquiry

And I ADORED Nancy Drew growing up

8:49 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

I am jealous. I must say that I was eyeing some Nancy Drew's recently. I loved them...probably still do! I recently started buying the Madeline L'Enle books (A Wrinkle in Time), and I am enjoying them so much! I have only read the first 2 so far.

PS, I read grown-up books too ;)

10:03 PM  
Blogger ile said...

I hear ya girl. Until lately I would end up dropping the loads off at the Goodwill. Now I've joined Bookins.com. It's actually quite cool. :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Nancy Drew Mysteries were a staple of my childhood, and it wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I learned that Carolyn Keene didn't really exist. I felt betrayed. In fact, so did a few of the real, original authors of those books. :-(

KJC

11:20 AM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

Sigh... seems so long ago, I was on vacation and showering where now there are boxes.

I am interested to hear more about this new bed... :-)

Perhaps more frequent visits will be in order.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home