Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Work yesterday was a bust. I showed up at 4:45 to surprisingly find plenty of parking spaces. We've totally outgrown our space, so people showing up at night can usually not find spaces and have to park up the street and move their cars later. There wasn't just one space open, there were like 10. Something was afoot. I went inside to find the entire Post department empty. Offices were open, lights were on, but computers were off and there wasn't a person in sight. I thought about Vanilla Sky for a moment before I finally ran into someone else. As it turns out, our network had gone down at 4 and they had sent the day people home. It still wasn't up and we wouldn't be able to work until it was. We waited and waited, tried to entertain ourselves, moved aimlessly from room to room looking for interesting conversations. It was a bit like The Breakfast Club but without the essay or the moronic Vice Principal. The SAN had never went down any time I'd been there. I'd heard that it had before, but was usually never down for more than an hour or two. At midnight, they finally cut us loose and sent us home. That's right - an entire boring shift with not a minute of work to show for it. At least I got paid.

No wonder Wally didn't want to go to work yesterday, which is why he was hiding behind this tree, making me chase him around and around it. The lack of work meant he got a ton of attention at the office last night, leading many of us to believe that Wally may have deliberately peed on the SAN to make it go down.

I went out today and tried to figure out what color paint to do the office in. I now have a bunch of paint swatches in different shades of brown. Shall I pick Madras Curry? Chocolate chip? Or perhaps go crazy with Earthly Glimmer? I next went to a carpet company someone recommended as being able to give a good deal. I was just going to look and get an idea, and the next thing I knew, I was getting pressure to make a deal and put a deposit down today. I decided to go back and look in a few weeks when I'm more ready to shell out the dough and get it installed.

The song of the day is "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe off their 1996 album Villans. Have you ever heard a song on the radio, and you don't know who the band is or who's singing it, but you know you absolutely MUST go out and buy the CD? That's how this song was for me. I love the emotion of this song, the story of which is based in fact. If you don't know it, you should definitely check it out.


Blogger LA said...

I had a similar situation at work once. When I first started at the hospital, I was working 3rd shift. I arrived one night at 10:00 to find that the system was down. There were a few computer guys there working on our server, completely stumped, although they assured us that it would be up in an hour or two. I wasn't doing well working third shift, so I told them I was going to go lay down in the corner (I kept a blanket and pillow there for naps in the employee lounge) and to wake me when the system was up. At 6:30 the next morning - the end of my shift - someone woke me to tell me it was time to go home. System still wasn't up, but at least I got a good night's sleep.

I can see the sass in Wally's eyes!

9:54 PM  
Blogger VirtualProducer said...

Missing the Wally Dog. I am glad for Wally Wednesday.

Ugh.. your day sounds like one of mine when the server farm crashes that serves all the websites. Doesn't happen often, but when it does... :-(

Now you will be burried in work?

1:09 AM  
Blogger ile said...

Did you light your shoe on fire and smoke weed in the library? :)

7:12 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Picking paint colors is a hard, hard task . . . which is why I had different color swatches painted all over my bedroom before I went with Green Tea!

8:28 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I once had three days without phone service. And I was the receptionist. It was excellent!

Great song of the day. I hear it every now and then on the radio and always turn it up and sing along.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home