Monday, September 03, 2007

Finally, my three day painting weekend is here. I woke before 7 and got started on my day. By 8:30, I was at my local OSH buying paint. It was nice to be the only person in the paint department - I'd never seen that. I actually had to ask if they were open yet. Next, time to get dressed to work. I have an old pair of paint splattered shorts that I keep for such an occasion, but what t-shirt? It had to be one that is either ready to be thrown away, or one I'm sure I will never wear in public again. After digging through my drawers, I found this one and knew I was safe.

The first thing I had to do was finish boxing everything up and shoving it into the bathroom. It was good to go through all the crap in my office, as I discovered it had become a bit of a graveyard for outdated technology. Super disk, anyone? Maybe a Jaz? How 'bout this box of floppies? I threw a ton of stuff out and made mental notes for things to eventually put in a garage sale.

Usually when I paint (and I try not to do it often) I jump right in with some paint and a roller and not much thought to what I'm doing. This is why I usually spend several years after said paint job irritated every time I notice a part that I didn't cover well. Today, since I'm also painting the ceiling, I started by dusting and wiping every thing down, including the baseboards. I've also bought primer, something I never usually bother with. I've even spackled up holes in the wall, and not with toothpaste, either. I don't want to be disappointed with this room when I'm done with it. Remember, this is the current color of my office. I'll update as I progress.

The song of the day is "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones off their 1966 album Aftermath. I would say pretty much every Stones song I remotely like comes from their earlier career. Most of them I came to know through the slew of Vietnam War movies in the 80s, especially this one. Though I'm not painting anything black today, I thought this would be a good song, since I've already used Lou Gramm's "Midnight Blue."

6 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Hope it goes well this weekend. Make sure to keep Wally's tail away from freshly painted walls!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

I think you should have multiple songs today, i bet you will find a treasure trove of them while you paint.

I wish I was there to help, although I am sure at some point i would hear "um Rob, you mised a spot" :-)

Can't wait to see your progress, you are being WAY more productive than I today.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

And look at stupid me... I'm at work getting some things done in my nice office with the A/C on. And to think I could have volunteered my services to come and help you.

Great idea for the song of the day.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

primer is a good idea to cover the purple . . . what earth tone did you end up choosing?

1:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Painting on one of the hottest weekends of the summer. Not really my idea of fun, but I sure hope everything goes well for you, Tiff.

I've always liked "Paint It Black" by the Stones. But I'm also very fond of the cover version done by The Tea Party several years ago. The lead singer, in this homemade music video, is the very talented Jeff Martin, who, I expect, will be providing some of his music for The Black Tower. I'm hoping to find a place on my show for this song.

1:48 PM  
Blogger LA said...

WTH is going on with the weather? I came in this afternoon from the Midwest where it's positively mild compared to this! Yikes!

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home