Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I. Am so. Sore.

I've discovered muscles I haven't used in years while painting over the last couple of days. I was so sore when I went to bed last night, I had to take a painkiller. Well, "had" is probably over stating it, but I wanted to, so I did! I got a lot done today, starting with the ceiling. I thought it was going to be the hardest part, but it turned out being the easiest. I changed it from your basic white to a warmer antique white. The best part was that I only had to do one layer. I then started in on the alcove where my sink is at. I'm painting it a lighter shade of brown (Dutch Boy refers to it as Ginger Snap). This is when I discovered that little alcove has a ton of nooks. It took forever to paint it. Finally, it was time to apply the brown. I used an edger along the ceiling which worked great, but not so great along the floor boards. I had to resort to cutting in by hand. Oh, how I loathe cutting in. I'd also like to mention at this point that, as I side effect of the Crohn's Disease, I have arthritis. So, doing things like gripping a paint brush for two hours straight, or sitting on the floor cross-legged while I paint along the floor boards - not fun. My right hand is still roughly in the form of a grip. I got the first coat down today and should finish tomorrow, except for all the trim. I then get to go pick out some carpet. Sigh. So much for "days off."

When I went to dinner with my friend the other night, we brought our dogs and sat out on the patio. Wally is always happy to be on the patio near strangers who think he is very cute and might like a french fry. My friend brought a dog she is temporarily fostering. She works with an organization that rescues and adopts out pit bulls. I'm not ordinarily a big fan of the breed, but this dog was so sweet. He's still a cute, sleepy puppy at 3 months, and sadly, he was born blind. They've named him Ray Charles. A family came to meet him today and are interested in adopting him, so I hope it all works out for little Ray. Here's the cute little guy:


The song of the day is "Gentlemen" by the Afghan Whigs off their 1993 album of the same name. This is actually a great CD, though it's the only one I own by the band. They're sort of known for being the band that never really broke. This is a great, song, though. This is the first song I heard by the band, and when I first heard it, I was stuck by the dark energy of their music. It's no surprise to find that they had been previously signed to Sub Pop Records in Seattle, the label known for helping bring grunge rock to the forefront with Nirvana, Soundgarden, and other Northwest Bands. In fact, Afghan Whigs were the first non-NW band signed by the label. If you've never heard them, check out this video before YouTube pulls it down:

4 Comments:

Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

Two words for you, HOT BATH!

I am so sorry it is painful. It will be worth it.

Great song/band!

10:04 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'll admit, pitbulls scare me. I've never had a bad incident with one, but I think it's mostly because of all the stories. That and they are 120lbs of solid muscle. But that Ray just looks so happy in that photo!

I agree with virtual producer. A nice hot bath might make you and your claw hand feel better. Remember that Friends episode where Chandler plays too many hours of video games and his hand gets stuck in the shape of the controller?

If I saw Wally on a patio, I would want to give him a french fry. How could you say no to that face?

6:21 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Yep, painting is a lot of work. Cute puppy, and I have great admiration for those wonderful folks fostering dogs and helping to find them loving homes. I hope Ray finds a good home.

8:31 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I love, Love, LOVE Greg Dulli and the Afghan Whigs. I have that album and still play it often, especially considering it's 14 years old.

Ray is a beautiful boy. I, for one, have never met a pit bull who wasn't anything but a sweetheart. Treat them right, and they are great dogs. I hope he gets a great home with a loving family.

As for the muscle aches, you probably know this, but it bears repeating. Some extra hydration and a little Advil go a long way.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home