Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Last night, I went to watch a friend play Floorball pickup. Jeff is Canadian and a hockey player all around, so it's no surprise that he picked up playing floorball since he's been here in SoCal. I've heard him talk about it many times, and finally had a chance to go watch it. The game is similar to hockey - 5 players out and 1 goalie. He and his friends play it in a gym at Caltech, but in a formal game, it's played in a "rink" surrounded by short boards so there is no out of bounds. A lightweight stick is used with a plastic ventilated blade to carry around and shoot a wiffle-type ball. The idea, as in hockey, is to score more goals than your opponent. There is no stick checking and no body checking - only shoulder to shoulder contact. Goalies play on their knees in front of a smaller net and don't use a stick. The sport is big in Finland, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland, but is spreading to other parts of the world. It was really fun to watch, and it makes me wish I had Mondays off regularly so I could learn to play as well. Here's a photo I took last night and one from a professional game.

To give you an idea, here's a video of some professional play:

7 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Isn't that the same as whiffle ball field hockey? Or stick ball? Or like a game the gym teachers made you play when it was raining so gym class had to be indoors?

8:12 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

OK, that was totally cool and I want to play. Of couse, being frustrated goalie, I wished they would have shown the goalies making some stops.

9:12 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Off topic, but hey King's fan, what do you have against Christmas caroles? Do you just hate Christmas in general or is it the music in particular?

On topic - Is that like Lacrosse?

12:32 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - I think only as much like lacrosse as hockey or anything else that uses a goal.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

LA - I didn't always hate Chistmas music. It started when corporations started using the music and incorporating their words to promote their product. I just can't listen to it anymore.

2:46 PM  
Blogger LA said...

edit - gotcha

kings fan - gotcha

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I read the blog but haven't read the comment so I have to catch up.... marshmallows.... ew.
You need to try indoor soccer. So have you seen Dexter? I was right!
Jen
PS> predicting possible snow in pdx- so sick of the sensationalism in the news- winter storm watch. Superheros.. I always liked Letterman on the electrc company I'd be politico- with the power to fix broken voting machines and punch out chads.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home