Thursday, December 06, 2007

Centralia, Washington lays off Interstate 5 roughly halfway between Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington. I used to have to drive through there on the 5 going home to visit when I attended college in Olympia, WA, which is about 30 miles north of there. The abundance of low laying fields results in some flooding nearly every time there's heavy rain and the water surges in any of the three nearby rivers. I've seen the town flooded before, and remember driving through it on the 5 with nothing but water on both sides of the freeway. The city was hit hard this week with rain and flooding, closing the interstate until sometime today. Here is some of the devastation there.


I wonder which is worse - water or fire?

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I'd say water is worse than fire if for no other reason than fire damage is usually covered by insurance

9:40 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Oh, my God, that's awful!

8:44 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing and terrifying at the same time.

I can't say one - fire or water - is worse than the other. They can be equally destructive, just in totally different ways. Same with the other two elements, air and earth.... hurricanes and earthquakes, both positively devastating.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home