Saturday, December 01, 2007

I played better than I expected to last night, though that doesn't mean the game wasn't a pain in the ass. For starters, our ENTIRE roster showed up, so we had 14 skaters. On the up side, everyone did a great job of making quick changes and keeping fresh legs out there. We won the game, 4-2, but we all seemed to have problem with one particular player on the other team. That's right...I'm talking about you, #6 Gold! Let me start by saying I haven't had a single penalty minute all season, and last night, I had 4. Off the same player. And they weren't really penalties.

In the second period, she had the puck and I was chasing her, caught up and lifted her stick off the ice - clean stick check. My stick was near her gloves and accidentally popped under them, at which point she clamped down and held my stick under her arm. I tried to pull it out and she yelled, quite dramatically, "Get her off me!" then dropped her stick and glove (as if I'd yanked them off her) and crumpled to the ground. That was my first hooking penalty of the game. I knew it was bullshit, but I could totally understand how the refs would see it as such, assuming they overlooked her horrible dive.

Later in the 2nd, the same player had a breakaway when one of our defensemen poke checked her and she took a dive, resulting in another penalty for our team. In the 3rd period, we were trying to clear the puck out of our defensive zone. Same player was covering me, interfering actually, leaning up against me even though the puck was 10 feet away. Because I'm taller, it was easy to just lean back into her to move her. At that point, she yelled out as if I'd cross checked her in the head and took a two handed axe-swing with her stick at my legs. Fortunately, the refs had their eyes open and called a penalty on her.

Late in the third, leading by 2 goals with 2:30 left in the game, she repeated her performance from the beginning of the 2nd. She then followed it up with another completely malicious two handed slash to my legs. I heard the whistle blow, relieved they had called a penalty...then dismayed to find they had called it on ME! Even our coach couldn't figure out how or why I had gotten a penalty. While I was in the box, she slashed another one of our players across the stomach after the whistle and no call.

She didn't manage to slow me down much. I still came away with a goal, an assist...and 4 penalty minutes. I almost had a Gordie Howe Hat Trick!

When the end of game buzzer sounded, a few of us walked up to the ref and asked how on earth he could have not called those slashes against her. After first saying he didn't see them, he then said, "Ok, she's a dirty player. You guys were winning. What was I supposed to do, call a penalty?" He got an emphatic "Yes!" from all of us.

After the game, everyone skates down the middle of the ice, hands out, saying, "Good game, good game," like when we were kids. She skated off and wouldn't even shake hands with anyone. I skated past her bench about 6 feet from her and shouted, "Nice sportsmanship!" As is usually the case with people who talk big on the ice, she ignored me when it came time back up her behavior. Well, at least now I know who I'm gunning for in the next game against the same team.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

You should have dropped your gloves at center ice and called her out. Man, I love hockey!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

She needs to be slammed into the boards; however, we need to work on a better come back for you than "nice sportsmanship"

8:50 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Wow, superior self-control on your part! Well, now you guys have a heads up for next time. Funny, it reminds me of watching little kids play soccer. Some of the coaches actually taught their teams to play just dirty enough to not get called on it!

9:48 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - The sportsmanship comment was for being lame and not shaking hands.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

You still need a better verbal jab . . . maybe, "thanks, I was worried being an asshole could be spread by hand to hand contact"

12:14 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - You're right. That's good. I'll confer with you before I play against her again!

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home