Sunday, December 09, 2007

John Lennon
10/9/40 - 12/8/80

Yesterday marked the 27th anniversary of the death of John Lennon. It's taken me about 25 years, but little by little, I find myself warming to Yoko Ono. In a letter posted on her website yesterday, she wrote, "I miss you, John. 27 years later, I still wish I could turn back the clock to the Summer of 1980. I remember everything - sharing our morning coffee, walking in the park together on a beautiful day, and seeing your hand stretched to mine - holding it, reassuring me that I shouldn't worry about anything because our life was good." It's hard not to be moved by a woman still so thoroughly touched by the death of her husband over a quarter of a century before.

She went on to say, "This day of John's passing has become more and more important for so many people around the world as the day to remember his message of Peace and Love and to do what each of us can to work on healing this planet we cherish. Let's: Think Peace, Act Peace, and Spread Peace. John worked for it all his life. He said, "there's no problem, only solutions." Remember, we are all together."

I continue to be moved by Lennon's message and "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" remains one of my favorite Christmas songs. Here's hoping for more Peace and Love over the coming holiday and the years to come.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Lennon's death is one of those events for me where I remember where I was - at my college apartment in Balboa, watching Monday Night Football, when they broke in to make the announcement. I have warmed to Yoko over the years too. I believe on her website she is offering a download of her and John's War is Over poster. I also wish I could affor Lennon's original art work.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

And totally off topic (and I also love the Xmas song) did you watch Dexter????? Lordy, lordy, lordy . . .

7:55 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Nice tribute. I remember watching the same football game as Diane, except I was a senior in high school and living @ home. When they broke in with the news that Lennon had been shot and killed (and before they IDed the shooter), my mother famously, instantly said, "Yoko did it."

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home