Saturday, April 26, 2008

A friend and I decided to take Wally on a hike up the Sam Merrill trail today so we could see the view from Echo Mountain. Because my hockey game with my new team was at 11:15 last night, we got a late start and it was already pretty hot when we hit the trail. Wally was happy to be out on the trail. We haven't been hiking in a long time and he loves to be off leash.



Here's the view from high up on the trail. If there wasn't so much smog, you could see all the way to the ocean from Pasadena up there.



Hello technology!



The trail we were on is a pretty steep hike up a bunch of switchbacks, and Wally soon started heading for the shade every chance he could get.



Eventually, despite the many water and rest breaks we took, he started to burrow under plants and in crevasses looking for shade. I should have heeded his warnings and turned around to head back to the car but I wanted to try to reach the summit.



Because of this, we ultimately came across him on the trail burrowed in the shade under a bush. Unfortunately for him, the bush he chose was on the cliff side of the trail and when we walked up, he moved and began to fall down the mountain! He fell about 10 feet backward then managed to stop himself (thankfully - it would have been hard to get to him if he had fallen much farther). My friend, John, scrambled down the incline through the brush and branches to rescue him.


Wally is a smart dog. Once he came to a stop, he stayed put and let John come down to him. John then grabbed him buy his back and the scruff of his neck and hauled upwards where I grabbed Wally and pulled him up onto the trail. And that was pretty much it for the hike.

Once Wally got a cool bath, some food, and some nap time he seemed no worse for the wear. But for a moment there on the trail, I thought I was going to lose my dog. Lucky for me, I had someone with me to help.

My new hockey team is a whole other blog entry. Wait 'till you hear what Madeline did!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Aside from almost losing your best friend, it looks like you guys had a good day. By contrast, I sat in a metal sweat box announcing a baseball game and worked seven hours before coming home and working three more house. I'm ready for a nap and something to eat.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Nice day. Scared you didn't he? I had a similar experience with a dog slipping over the edge. Looks like you all had a good time. Wish my day would have been as good.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

It sucks when animals scare you like that! Other than that it sounds like you had a great day!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I don't even bother trying to take Hanna out for walks midday - she just keeps finding nice cool spots to sit and rest . . .

Glad to hear Wally was ok!

7:14 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Wow, that was a close call. I'm really glad this story has a happy ending.

Okay, what did Madeline do?

(damn, it's hot!)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Our Two Blessings From Above said...

I came across your blog by clicking on ice hockey in the profile area. I see you have a lab too. He looks like he is a ivory Lab like ours.
I have to agree with you Labs are very smart!
Enjoy.

11:14 AM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

That looks like a challenging hike!

(Southern California is warm, but I would not be able to deal with that smog.)

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home