Sunday, April 27, 2008

The first game of the women's division Summer League happened Friday night. As I mentioned before, I got moved to a new team and we now have much later game time slots, so I'm not very happy about it. I knew the cherry on top of the cake would be that I wouldn't get to wear my regular jersey number (11). One of the first things I did when I got moved was check the roster of the team I was being moved to and see if they already had a number 11 (they did). While some people could really care less what number they wear, I always feel happier with that number on my back. When I showed up to sign in, there were only two jerseys left hanging there and the one the guy handed me was 11! At first I thought the league had actually done something right to make sure they had the right jersey prepped, but no...the guy told me it was totally coincidental.

The girls on the other team seemed nice enough. I was disappointed to see that their star player, Melissa, who I really like, was no longer playing on the team. Neither was their other goal scorer. (I should mention at this point that this team is the one that won the championships against my old team last season). It became clear rather quickly that I had been moved to the team to be their new scorer. Obviously, someone had not looked at my stats because I don't score a ton of goals - I get a lot of assists. At any rate, at least Madeline was there...we car pool from Pasadena so we're a package deal.

As soon as the game started, I realized the newly reformed red team was severely low on talent. There are some ok players but no one who really stands out. One of the new players had actually never played in a game before and didn't fully understand the offside rule. Our goalie was also not so good...I'm hoping she just had an off game or hasn't played in awhile and will get better. Perhaps the best part of the game was when Madeline, seeing the puck drop in the open in front of her, took off with it at (her) full speed in a breakaway attempt. She shot the puck but it didn't go in. This is probably just as well, since she had been skating the wrong way and had shot on OUR OWN GOALIE. At the period break, our coach took a deep breath and said, "I never thought I'd have to say this, but please try not to shoot on our own goalie." After the game Madeline said to me, "Man...I haven't done that in a long time!" I was like, "In 'a long time'? You mean you've done that before?!" At least she, and everyone else, had a good sense of humor about it.

After his big, dangerous hike yesterday, Wally was very restless during the night. I kept hearing him moving around and this morning, found some vomit on the stairs...all grass, of course, which he had been eating along the trail. I feel horrible because he's limping really badly, and when he went to eat his breakfast, he had to lie down to do it. I know he's really sore, but he's no dummy - I can tell he's totally playing it up, too, the way he limps across the floor, then looks back at you from across the room with his big, sad face, as if to say, "It's ok...I can get the water myself...don't you trouble yourself (limp limp).'"

6 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Awww the poor little guy!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

The kids soccer team was playing in the state cup semifinals in Seattle and they lost 0-1. Until that game they were undefeated. Unfortunately when you hit semifinals it is single elimination. It was an own goal that made us lose.

11:42 AM  
Blogger LA said...

OMG @ what Madeline did! (it's funny, though)

How's Wally doing? I hope he's better today.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

OK, so you're on a bad team. The important question is... are any of your teammates hot?

12:49 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

It sounds like a sense of humor may be your only advantage when players are scoring on their own nets!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've noticed I seem to do much better with solo pursuits.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home