Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm home from Washington and back to the usual grind. It never fails that even if I spend only a couple of days in the Pacific Northwest, I don't want to leave. It's ironic, because when I was growing up there, I couldn't wait to leave, and now I just want to go back. I miss the greenery and buildings made out of brick. It was nice to see Puget Sound again.

I'm also in the midst of reading the Twilight Series (I'm on book 3 right now), and since the books take place on the Olympic Peninsula, my mind has already been rooted in Washington for the past several weeks. I hadn't heard of the books until someone mentioned them in passing, and then I started to see information on them everywhere. If you're unfamiliar with the books, written by Stephanie Meyer, about teenage vampires, they seem to be taking young readers by storm. I do find them rather juvenile, and the romance involved is quite unmotivated and unrealistic (but hey - the books ARE about vampires - and werewolves). Still, I can't stop reading them. It might be because the last book I read was over 1,000 pages long and pretty heady and these are a relaxing romp, but they're entertaining enough that I'll read the 4th (and last) book as well.

Anyone else reading anything good?

8 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I'm reading Water for Elephants, so far so good.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I liked Water for Elephants, but didn't like Twilight. I'm currently enjoying Youth in Revolt.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I liked Water for Elephants too. I have read all the Twilight books and also the Host. My daughter was really into twilight so I figured I should read them. We are planning on seeing the movie in Dec. They are not all that great for grown ups but young teens love em. Tiff- I think you need to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Nighttime- unless you already have. Also the True Story of Hansel and Gretel. It was SO good. I am in a book club and hosting it at my place tonight.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I LOVED the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime

11:15 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I haven't heard of Water for Elephants so I'll have to add that to the list. Youth in Revolt was great. And I did read the Curious Incident when it came out. I already bought the new Richard Russo book for my next read.

11:17 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I've been reading David Halberstam's The Powers That Be all summer. It's fascinating but slow going.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

have you read any of Russo's other books? I loved the movie version of Nobody's Fool, but haven't read any of his books.

Of course, I LOVE Paul Newman, so it's hard for me to judge Russo's contribution.

1:07 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - I've read most of Russo's other books, and highly recommend any of them. I really, really loved Empire Falls. And if you liked the movie for Nobody's Fool, you really should read the much better book.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home