Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hey, everybody! Happy Wally Wednesday! Ever since Wally lost all the weight, he gets nothing but compliments when I walk him around at work. All in all, he has lost nearly 20 lbs. since last October. Hopefully, this will help him live a longer life. At any rate, we got to work at home a few times in the past week. He loves to sit on the little couch behind me in my office. Here he is, enjoying the afternoon.

I read this article yesterday on the internet. It's about a 70-year-old woman who was asked to leave a Starbucks because they mistook her for a homeless person. Some merchants support the coffee chain's decision, saying homeless people, after buying a cup of coffee, will linger around the coffee shop waiting for a nearby shelter to open. Shame on those homeless people for buying coffee and then expecting to actually relax in the establishment. If Starbucks has a problem with people loitering in their shops, how about posting no loitering signs, or booting anyone who is there for more than 30 minutes or an hour? Why single out the homeless? (Or in this case, the people they THINK are homeless?) Anyone who lives in Southern California has seen the large groups of scriptwriters who seem to find it necessary to hang out at Starbucks for hours on end, camping out at tables that no one else can use, so they can proudly be seen in public working on their masterpiece. (Hey! Look! Writing a script here! Look how industrious I am! I must be a famous script writer!) I can understand booting people who are just hanging around NOT buying anything, but if Starbucks thinks you're homeless, you'll be asked to leave even if you buy your own drink, at least in this suburb of Glen Ellyn, Il.

The song for today is "Fool In Love" by Farrenheit off their 1987 self-titled debut album. Yes, I spelled it right...the band was led by singer/songwriter Charlie Farren. I remember this song getting very minimal airplay, but I loved it the first time I heard it and still love to hear it on my iPod. I tried to find the album art on the internet but literally couldn't find it anywhere. I actually had to scan the 45 I had. Once I looked at the cover, I realized I had been misspelling the band name in the internet searches. It's still hard to find, but I did come across Farren's web site and dropped him an e-mail. The very cool thing about the internet is you can sometimes find an e-mail address for some barely known artist who you really dig, and sometimes...they actually write you back. We've come a long way from sending fan mail into the abyss of the U.S. Postal Service and band management. If you've never heard the song, check it out. It's still a great listen:

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Great photo of Wally! And Amen on Starbucks

9:54 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Good for Wally for the weight loss! Now if only I can lose these 10lbs of winter weight I seem to have added. I'll tell myself that if a dog can lose 40, I can lose 10.

Don't get me started on Starbucks. If the woman paid $4.95 for a coffee, I think she's intitled to stay as long as she wants.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Wally looks positively radiant. So slim and pretty. I'm glad he's feeling better. You're a good parent, editthis.

And I agree with you about those folks who hog tables at coffee shops and stay there for hours banging out scripts on their laptops, looking all self-important -- oh, wait...that would be me. :-)

KJC

11:42 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Well, if I drank coffee and saw someone sitting at a table for a long time, I'm sure the caffeine high would prompt me to throw them out.

Good song of the day... vaguely remember it.

Good to see Wally is back to normal and his weight loss should help his longevity. Just means you have to throw the tennis ball farther and stay out longer when he wants to play.

12:24 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Wally looks adorable, and I think you are very brave to have a white sofa with pets! (And yes, I noticed the blankie covering it.)

At any rate, Perez Hilton would be SOL if Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf adopted the no loitering policy. From what I hear, he sets up shop early in the morning and sits there blogging and taking calls all freaking day long. Come to think of it, a "no loitering" policy could potentially culturally bankrupt the "hipster scene" in Los Angeles!

12:43 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Starbucks sucks.

But with that said, Wally rules! He's a handsome boy.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home