Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Before I forget, my 2nd episode airs tonight at 10pm on ABC. This is the episode I mentioned before that was written as dramatic but ended up being deemed "not funny" and had to have some surgical editing done on it.

I was able to spend all day at home yesterday working. It's really a nice change of scenery to do that. I wish I could do it more often. If I'm still editing next season, I'm definitely going to take advantage of that situation much more often. I still worked 11 hours, but at least I didn't have to deal with the commute, which always makes me (and Wally) happy.

Completely off topic, if anyone knows how to stop receiving mail from the dreaded Scientologists, please let me know. I took a personality test in Hollywood when I first came to Los Angeles and was young and stupid. Several moves later (often without leaving a forwarding address) and I'm still getting a few pounds of mail a week. It's always embarrassing when someone has to pick up my mail for me, because I feel compelled to explain the situation so they don't think I'm a nut-job. Here's an odd story. I used to live in this house in Burbank, but had moved twice and was moving into this condo that I live in now. I needed someone to paint the interior before I moved in, and I found a local guy on the internet. I contacted him through the web and he came over to give me an estimate. As fate would have it, the webmaster who built his site happens to live in the same house I lived in in Burbank, and when the query had come through the site, he recognized my name. Why, you ask? Because he had received a bunch of Scientology mail with my name on it. So the painter explains this and then asks, "So, are you a Scientologist?" And I say something like, "Hell no...I just can't get those f-ing psychopaths to stop mailing me things." He doesn't say anything, but has an interesting look on his face, and I instantly realize why. "You're a Scientologist, aren't you?" I ask. He nodded his head. Hopefully, there aren't listening devices installed in my paint.

The song of the day is "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" by Culture Club off their 1982 album Kissing To Be Clever. I never minded Culture Club, but I also never particularly liked them. The music was OK, but I always found Boy George to be more creepy than cool. If you grew up in the 80s like me, you probably knew some kid who loved Boy George and dressed like him - usually girls. Most boys knew he was a little off. Nevertheless, a very classic song from the early 80s, and especially, early MTV

9 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

check out the post office and federal trade commission websites - maybe also the california attorney general's site - my guess is that you will find some info on what to do to stop getting unwanted mail from someone. if you do what they say, and then keep getting mail, you can report them to the AG or FTC . . .

9:14 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. I'll check out your show tonight!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Not a big fan of Scientology, myself. From what I can recall, it was created by a sci-fi writer who wanted make a shit-load of money and have sex with a multitude of beautiful young women without having to pay for it -- or learn to play guitar for a rock band. As far as I'm concerned, L. Ron Hubbard gets about as much respect from me as Whitley Strieber did with his alien abduction/New Age cult movement.

KJC (who had a crush on Boy George for a while)

10:40 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

The Scientology Centre in Toronto is ruthless in trying to get people walking by to take one of their "free stress tests". Errrrr, no.

I would imagine that there has to be some way to get them to stop. Kind of like a do not call list, except for mail... you know what I mean, right?

12:17 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Tonight's show looks great, and TVguide.com has it featured as one of their shows to watch. I'll be tuning in for sure! Glad to see a new episode after four weeks of repeats.

Bad news about the Scientologists mailing list. More than 25 years ago when I still lived with my parents, I heard a radio ad for Dianetics and ordered the book. My mother, two moves, two states and literally 26 years later, still gets mail addressed to me from the Church of Sci. It's creepy. Try sending sand back in their pre-paid envelopes (they get charged by weight). Just for some sweet revenge.

12:45 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - I knew a guy once who had gotten on their mailing list. This was years ago when he was a heroin addict and had spent time in jail. He said he'd be on the lam, in some other state, in some random place, and would go out to the mailbox and find Scientology mail addressed to him.

12:49 PM  
Blogger LA said...

edit - That would be funny if it weren't so damned scary!

7:37 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Great episode last night, Edit, I really enjoyed it!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I watched the show on Tuesday, and you did a great job. I really don't know what to look for, but you did a great job of sewing the scenes together.
And I was happy that Law & Order: SVU was a repeat!
I won on both fronts!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home