Saturday, March 17, 2007

I went to Noah's Bagels this morning to grab something for breakfast, and I noticed the tip jar that was there. I don't know about you, but I get kind of irritated at the tip jars that seem to pop up just about everywhere. I'm a pretty decent tipper when it comes to eating in restaurants, getting a massage, those kinds of things, but I'm not about to tip someone for toasting a bagel for me. We got into this discussion at work one day, because some of the guys were saying that they tip the person at a restaurant if they've ordered something over the phone to pick up. More specifically, we were talking about Koo Koo Roo. I couldn't believe they would tip someone for that because a) that's not the type of restaurant where you even have a server you would tip and b) the person isn't doing anything extra that they wouldn't do if I had gone to the counter and ordered it to go. I'm not sure that putting my chicken sandwich in a bag really necessitates a tip. I conceded that if I were, say, ordering for the whole office, like 12 meals that I had to pick up, that might be different, but not just to order for myself. I then asked them, "Would you tip the guy at McDonalds who puts your burger in a bag and hands it to you?" "Well...no." I don't really see the difference. I was just curious what everyone's tipping opinion was.

I was looking for something in my closet last night and came across two boxes of 45s from back in the day. I have to admit, I'm pretty proud of my singles collection. I have a lot of good music in there. There were only a few things where I thought, "Why on earth did I ever buy that?" Then I realized most of those were records my sister had given me when she was going to throw her collection out. I did find quite a few one hit wonders I had forgotten about, and some pretty obscure songs.

One band that I hadn't thought of in awhile was Honeymoon Suite, and I was pleased to find I had several singles from them. The song of the day is "New Girl Now" off their 1984 self-titled debut album. After rediscovering them in my pile of records, I immediately went on iTunes to see what I could download by them. It was great to hear them again, without having to go through the trouble of dragging out the record player. Check out the video with the sweet Delorean in it:

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Amen on the tipping!

12:35 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

I was always a sucker for athe one hit wonders! I forgot how big the GIRLS hair used to be in the hair band era! I have to admit, I miss hearing those old 45's once in a while. We now have a 60's and 70's station that plays a good surprise song sometimes.

About tipping...I hate it when the "gratuity" is automatically billed to me for my meal. I have to pay it even if the service was lousy! I think this tipping thing is way out of control. Maybe it's turned into some kind of social status or something. I don't want to tip the guy that asks me if I want fries with that, or the Wal-mart greeter. Don't people make actual wages for their work? I do agree on tipping for service that was exceptional, but not just because...

12:44 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

netrunner - I'm looking forward to visiting New Zealand this summer, which is supposed to be a tip free country (and they want to keep it that way). I would be happier if people just got payed the wage they deserved and we did away with tipping all together.

12:50 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I was in Dunkins Doughnuts the other day to buy some bagels. And there was the dirty wax cup on the counter with the handwritten word: Tips.

The bagel bagger wants a tip? How can you tip someone that spends 90 seconds putting 6 plain bagels in a bag?!

So I threw a protest penny in.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the whole tipping thing has become a joke. most people now-a-days tip only to show they aren't tight infront of there friends. I only tip at restaurants for the waiters(ress) because to me they seem to cop so much crap from customers and have to put on a brave face and smile. so when I get my meal I appreciate the smile and good service and give a tip. those shopswho stick a fony cup with the hand written sign 'tip' should be ashamed of themselves. [I could use more colorful words but its a crazy world].

9:30 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I am TOTALLY with you on tipping!

It especially became irksome for me with the rise of Starbucks. I have this unproven theory that Starbucks actually trains their employees to be petulant assholes in order to advance the "cool" image of the brand.

How much longer until there are tip jars at the grocery store and gas station?

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home