Monday, March 19, 2007

I watched the pilot for Jeff Goldblum’s new series, “Raines.” I’d heard it described as being about a police detective who sees dead people. This is only partially true. If that were the case, it would be a complete rip-off of “Medium.” Goldblum’s character, Raines, is indeed a Los Angeles Police Detective, and he does see the victims of the murders he investigates as if they were alive and talking to him. The twist is that they’re all in his head, completely a figment of his imagination. He works alone, and the victims manifest themselves for him so that he can try to verbally work through the crime on his own. The victims can’t tell him who committed the crime – being imaginary, they only know what he knows. I’ve never been a huge Jeff Goldblum fan. Sometimes I can tolerate him, most of the time I’m put off by his oddness. But this show is like Goldblum grown up. He’s got the same delivery you know so well, but he seems to have matured. I found the pilot to be very well directed, and they did some very cool things with visual effects as they made the victims appear and disappear. I’ve put it on my Season Pass, we’ll see how it goes. Of course, because I like it, it will probably be cancelled in another week.

The song of the day is Flesh For Lulu’s “Postcards From Paradise” off their 1987 album Long Live the New Flesh. This band is what we would have called post-modern back in the day, meaning it sounded new and different and not quite commercial enough for a bunch of teeny boppers to buy a million albums. I don’t know much about the band, but I like the sound of this song.

7 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

For me, this show is up against Nip/Tuck, so I doubt I'll get into it. Plus, Jeff Goldbloom is one creepy dude.

10:56 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I used to be a hard core Nip/Tuck follower, but after the first few seasons, it actually just got too fucking weird and I gave up on it.

10:59 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Edit - What other mid-season shows have you watched? I checked out that one on FX, "The Riches." I couldn't really get into it, but that's probably because it was a little too dark for me. That said, Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver both gave solid performances.

I watched October Road last week, too. It's more my style, but we'll have to see. The first episode didn't hook me.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Man, I really need to catch up on some things you've mentioned in your blog in the last week.

But I do like the Flesh for Lulu song and am staying away from anything Goldblum.

Congrats on the first win and if you can please tank this weekend's game, I can make it to Game 3. Maybe you should go in on a breakaway in the final minute to tie the game and choke. That would work out well for me. See what you can do about that, will ya?

1:43 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - I haven't seen as much as I would have liked. I also watched The Riches and wasn't too impressed by it. I was looking forward to Andy Richter's show, but missed Tivo-ing it and will have to watch the 2nd eppy. October Road looks good, too.

Kings Fan - If I was on a breakaway in the final minute to tie the game, I can't see any other outcome BUT me choking.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - I thought the goldblum show looked interesting - i'll check it out

7:03 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I am running out of good stuff to watch, so I may give it a try.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home