Saturday, July 14, 2007

You may remember me writing earlier about my neglected front garden and the days that I spent weeding it about a month ago. It hadn't been touched in over a year, so there was a lot of work to do. Today, I noticed to my chagrin that there are weeds growing back! I'll have to post a photo tomorrow because I forgot to take one before the sun went down (the photo posted here is not from my garden). I'm not a complete idiot - I knew the weeds would eventually come back, but I didn't expect to see them again so soon. Is this some perpetual thing I'm going to have to do, weeding the area? Or is there something I can spray down (that won't also kill my dog) to prevent them from growing for awhile? (I was going to make an Agent Orange joke here until I Googled images and was seriously grossed out and horrified. My bad).

I have a hockey game tonight at 11:15. That's right - 45 minutes before midnight. We're not on a very good streak right now. We started off the season kicking everyone's asses, and our last three games have been tie-lose-tie, the loss being to one of the worst teams in the division. We really need a win tonight. Hopefully, we'll show up with our A game.

The song of the day is "White Wedding" by Billy Idol off his 1982 self-titled album. Though he'd released an EP in 1981 that spawned two other hits, this was the first full length release by Idol. I remember when he was THE thing, and we all thought he was so hard rock with the leather, spikes and black. Now I listen to his music and it sounds like pop, mellow and harmless. The times sure have changed. Back in the early 90s, shortly after I moved to L.A., I was employed by a home alarm company and Idol was one of our clients. One of our service techs had to go out to his house one day to repair his alarm. Idol was sitting in the TV room smoking a joint when he was startled by the repairman, who had been let in by someone else. Without missing a beat, Idol swallowed the lit joint which resulted in some obvious problems, and the paramedics had to be called. Good to know some things never change.

5 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

Edit, it take me 3-4 hours a week to maintain my yard!! Thats not flower planting and berry pickin'. That's mowing and running the weed wacker.

No excuses!!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Be sure when you pull the weeds that you get out the whole thing - that will help. Start planting something there to take the place of the weeds! or add some stones there to keep them at bay . . . or some potted plants . . .

Billy was slighter tougher when he sang with Generation X . . . Ready Steady Go is a pretty good song

9:01 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Yeah, I used to think Billy Idol was a kick-ass rocker with a serious attitude problem. Not so much anymore.

While I enjoy Eyes Without a Face, White Wedding and Mony, Mony, my all time favourite is Flesh for Fantasy, which I haven't heard on the radio or seen on MTV/Much Music since about 1985.

I did, however, just check YouTube and they have it there. After I post this, I'm going to watch it again, and relive my wild, punk-rocker youth.

I love the '80s!

KJC

7:51 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Edit, I just finished overhauling my front and back yard area and I anticipate having to spend several hours a week maintaining it once it gets going. I put in a few pigmy trees and other plants and flowers, along with new sod for the back. I'm sure a few potted plants or stones will help with the weed situation. As I sit here typing this, I can feel how tender my hamstrings are from kneeling down over and over again. I would suggest you avoid planting and go the easy route.

When I saw Idol at the JACK-FM concert last summer (yet another one you backed out on at the last minute), he seemed to have all the energy he did back in the 80's. I'm guessing he's not swallowing any more lit joints.

11:07 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I totally think you should just plant some grass. Wally would love it, and it's probably the easiest thing to maintain. My 2 cents.

Flix - Don't you have acres?

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home