Sunday, July 15, 2007

Our hockey game last night went well. After our recent bad streak, we managed to pull out a win against the team we were tied with for 2nd place. There are only 4 games left in the season, so it's important we stay in the top four to be able to make it to the playoffs. Though the game itself went well, my personal game did not. Shortly into the first period, I tried to snag a fast moving puck out of the air and managed to just clip my right thumb with it really badly. I came right off the ice and pulled off my glove to discover the nail on my right thumb had turned nearly all black. Also, it hurt like a son of a bitch and my hand wouldn't stop shaking. I managed to play the rest of the game, but I had problems holding onto my stick (it's hard when you can't use your thumb!) and I couldn't shoot at all. Today, it's swollen to about twice the size of the other and there's a lot of discoloration on the nail and pad of the thumb. It's also still unbelievably sensitive so I can't really use it right now. Since it's the thumb on my dominant hand, things have been that much more difficult. I knew those opposable thumbs set us apart from the rest of the animals, but you don't realize how important they are until you lose the use of one. I had problems with nearly everything today, from my button-fly jeans and the clasp on my bra, to eating and writing with a pen. I tried to take a photo but it's hard to shoot with my weak hand and I couldn't get them in focus. Trust me when I say it doesn't look good. But hey, at least we won!

The song of the day is Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" off his 1973 album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I worked on Ally McBeal when Elton John was a guest star. He didn't have any dialogue, he was just a random performer in the show's bar. He performed this song and a ton of us went down to the set to watch them film it. Even though he was lip singing to playback audio, he put on a great performance for the 100 or so of us down there, and he certainly loves the camera. I can only imagine what it's like to actually see him perform in concert.

5 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Ouch! I hope your thumb heals up quickly. I give you much credit for typing out your post with a wounded paw.

Good song choice!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I really hope you don't loose your thumbnail due to the impact trauma, editthis.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

You realize you're supposed to use your stick and not your hand to control the puck. Right? Really sorry to hear about your thumb, and I suggest you go and get it checked out as soon as possible.

If there's one Elton John song I can say I really like, it's that one. In fact, I could probably listen to it once a day and not get tired of it. Just an awesome song from beginning to end.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Maybe you can rent a trained service monkey to live with you and Wally until you heal up . . .

Great album by Elton

12:07 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I think Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is Elton John's best album. I enjoyed the Ally McBeal story, too!

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home