Saturday, September 08, 2007

A couple of things occurred in the past week that I kept meaning to touch on but haven't gotten to yet. One is this story about a U.S. B-52Bomber that flew across the United States from North Dakota to Louisiana . Normally, this would be a routine operation. This time, however, the plane had been accidentally loaded with 5 nuclear war heads. I'd like to know how nuclear war heads "accidentally" find themselves onto a plane. The Air Force said on Wednesday that the flight "never threatened public safety." Huh? Things happen to planes all the time. Thankfully, nothing happened to this one. Although, considering the flight plan, those of us concerned with television ratings could have enjoyed some relief from the problems of middle America. I'm just saying.

The other story that caught my eye was this one about Madeline L'Engle. Any of you who read books as a child should be familiar with the name - she's the person who wrote A Wrinkle in Time, among many other books and plays. The story of this book is a lesson in tenacity. The book was rejected by a total of 25 publishers before it was finally printed in 1962 and went on to sell over 6 million copies and garner several awards. L'Engle died in Connecticut at the age of 88. This was probably the first book I ever read that dealt with the space-time continuum, and though I'm not a geek, I've been fascinated with the ideas L'Engle put forth in this book ever since.

The song of the day is "Now" by Def Leppard off their 2002 album X. I went to see the band live when they were touring for this album. Usually, when an older band is touring for a new album, all you want to hear are their old songs, and Def Leppard happily obliged. Also during this type of tour, the time at which the band decides to play something off the new album is the moment I usually step out to the restroom, along with 90% of the arena. I was surprised when I stayed to listen and found that I actually liked their new stuff. Liked it a lot, in fact, and this whole album is really good, especially this song. It's also got a cute video. And yeah...I had one of those sleeveless Union Jack t-shirts when I was in the 7th grade.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so jealous of your shirt too! Joe Elliot is still cute! I hadn't heard about the plane- stuff like that probably happens more than we know. Joelle- my 10 yr old has been singing this song and practicing to dedicate it to me at my parents 50th. It's pretty funny and the video is great. Takes me back to the days...
Jen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dMmNcT3ouo

9:14 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Funny - I forgot about that song but it reminded me of me when I heard it. I'd never seen the video, though. Nice parodies of old videos. I'd like to point out, however, that Faith by GM came out AFTER 1985.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

And if the plane had crashed, the Bushies would have blamed it on Bin Laden

I had a Union Jack t-shirt too - though it was my ode to the Jam rather than Def Leppard

9:47 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

If I had a nickel for everytime I accidentally loaded nuclear war heads on a plane...

Anything by Def Leppard is alright by me!

11:17 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm so old (how old are you?), I saw Def Leppard back when Rick Allen still had two arms.

Actually, I had backstage passes, and Joe Elliot's eyes are positively hypnotic.

8:14 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

la - I'm 36. I also remember the drummer when he had two arms. Did you ever catch the Def Leppard made for tv movie on MTV about them? Anthony Michael Hall played Mutt Lange.

10:47 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Edit - Thankfully, I missed that movie. Who did the casting is what I want to know!

BTW, when I was asking "how old are you," it was more a bad Jack Benny imitation.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home