Friday, September 07, 2007

Since I don't work in the mornings every day, I hardly ever get to listen to Kevin & Bean on KROQ anymore. This morning as I was driving in, I heard them talking about some parody song their station was up in arms about because it had - get this - offended someone! I was unfamiliar with the song or the incident, but my friend, John, e-mailed me this link to explain. Apparently, Psycho Mike sang a parody song called "Lean Like a Homo." I can't seem to find a copy of the song online anywhere, but according the the article in the Advocate, "the song is sung by an effeminate male, who raps about anal sex, poppers, and desiring actor Zac Efron's penis. Some of the lyrics include 'Asscheeks up, spread them wide... That's how we live, party, and play, every single day for the gay.'" I don't know about you, but just reading that makes me want to hear the song, and I have little doubt that none of the gay men I know would be offended by this song. My biggest complaint about ANYONE who is offended by anything they hear or see on radio or TV - change the fucking channel! The few times I listened to Howard Stern, I didn't really care for him and actually found some of his bits offensive, so you know what? I never listened to him again. If you click on the link to the article above, you'll see the e-mail responses both Kevin and Bean sent to the complainant, and while Kevin isn't exactly known for tact, he is right on point. My problem here isn't just about the single listener who was offended (or 10 or 20), but with the station itself for pandering to such a complaint. Of course, no network or broadcasting company is really concerned that they might offend someone - it's all about money. If they perceive that people have been offended - specifically, vocal people who are complaining loudly to anyone who will listen - the companies panic about ad revenue. It all comes down to the dollar. I fully support Kevin & Bean and the rest of the morning crew at KROQ (even though Lightning makes me want to hurt him) for all their creativity and hard work. Hopefully, they'll be able to continue to do their jobs.

As an interesting aside, I found this photo when I was Googling for a photo of the guys. His name is Kevin M. Bean, and this photo was taken from a legal blog in 2006. Said the caption, "It will be interesting to see whether Berks County Judge Paul Yatron dismisses charges against local funeral director Kevin Bean, who is accused of assaulting his deceased wife." Hmm...

The song of the day is "Dare You To Move" by Switchfoot off their
2003 album The Beautiful Letdown. This is probably the most recent song of the day I've ever used, so I'm sure most of you know it. If not, I've posted the video below. I love the sound of this band, and found the album to be enjoyable through and through.




4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I love K&B, but can only listen until one of Lightning's insurance commercials comes on and then I have to change the station

6:43 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Sounds like management really caved on this one. And I agree with you, Kevin is totally on point. So is Bean.

I'm a little confused... is The Advocate publishing their emails to make them look bad? Because I don't really think their emails hurt them.

BTW, did you hear the song parody they did for "Hey there, Delilah?" entitled "Hey there, vagina?" It's hilarious. No protests, funny that.

Word, diane. I've come to loathe AIS.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I've heard the original "Lean Like A Cholo" and I found that to be offensive. Not because I'm Hispanic, but because I like music and that wasn't music. Didn't get to hear the parody song, but I'll bet it was funny. K&B push the envelope and that's what I like about them. Sure, some segments aren't for kids and they always warn the listener. Keep it up K&B - I've been a fan since your first show and will be until your last.

Hmmm, life imitating art when it comes to Mr. Bean?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

The original song is funny, "lean like a cholo." Just seeing some of the lyrics of "lean like a homo" made me laugh out loud. People need to get over themselves!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home