Sunday, September 09, 2007

For several years now, I've played in two different hockey leagues, so at the minimum, I get to play at least twice a week. I've played at different rinks at different times, but in general, always two teams. At the beginning of summer, I decided I was tired of playing at the Pasadena rink and dropped back to just one league. Unfortunately, with my change in schedule and other things going on, I've only been playing once a week. Needless to say, I've been desperate for more ice time. I've always played co-ed with the guys, and have never really wanted to play in a women's league. Aside from the fact that women's leagues are generally not as competitive as even the lower divisions in men's league, I just generally...well...don't want to hang out with that many other women. I'd rather have to deal with some ass of a guy on the ice, than some girl who is being bitchy.

I thought I'd see what local women's hockey is about. On Friday night, Madeline and I went down to the rink to take part in the draft for the women's league. In co-ed hockey, it's almost impossible to get picked up in a draft unless you're remarkably good. There are far too many players looking for teams than the other way around. As it turns out, if you show up to the women's draft, you are automatically placed on a team. I told the guy running it that I wanted to play first and see how it was. As it turns out, it was pretty fun, mostly because I was one of the fastest people on the ice. There were certainly other players who were more skilled than I, but it doesn't hurt your self-esteem to be that fast! So we both signed up and our first game will be this Friday night. I'll keep you updated on my progress playing with the Lady Kings. I'm not kidding - that's what they call us. I guess it's better than being called the Queens.

The song of the day is "Wise Up" by Aimee Mann off the 1999 soundtrack album for Magnolia. The film was inspired by Mann's music, and only two of her songs on the disc were written specifically for the film. I absolutely love the emotion in this song, as well as the lyrics. I also really enjoyed the film and the unique way the director used this song.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Hey, Cammi Granato always seemed like a nice gal! Have fun w/ the new league.

11:15 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Great SOTD. I was listening to Save Me and One earlie today (from the same soundtrack). A friend of mine used to play bass in Aimee's touring band.

Good luck to you and Madeline in the new league!

12:24 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Good luck in your new league!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home