Friday, November 09, 2007

Since I'm essentially a freelance employee right now, and I have this weird Friday-Tuesday schedule, taking any time off to do something on the weekend can be problematic. If I don't work a day, I don't get paid for it, unless I make it up down the line somewhere. Since Thanksgiving falls over the weekend, I have to make up days. Technically, I don't HAVE to make up days, but since I'm not staff and don't get paid for holidays, I would just lose pay for all those days, including Saturday and Sunday. I scheduled my own make-up days and I'm not really sure what the hell I was thinking. I just realized today that the way things fall right now, my next day off will actually be THANKSGIVING DAY! I may have to rethink this and move a make-up day further down the road. I also have the annual Hollywood mandatory holiday lay-off, the "Merry Christmas, you don't get any pay for two weeks!" hiatus.

No women's league game tonight. We have an 11:15pm open ice for scrimmage which I think I'll skip. Considering the string of days and nights I'll be working in the next couple of weeks, I think I'll enjoy my night off at home.

The song of the day is "Wonderwall" by Oasis off their 1995 album (What's the Story) Morning Glory? I heard this song on KROQ not long after I moved to L.A., and this song always reminds me of commuting up and down the 405. I really loved this song, and actually enjoyed the whole album but never got into anything else Oasis did. A friend who was backpacking around the world a few years ago reports that whenever he'd pick up a guitar in a campfire, the first song all the Brits would request was this one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Too bad the Noel (or is it Liam?) is such a twit, because that really is a good album . . .

I left work early today to get some errands done - flowers at Lowes, and Dingo Bones at Petco. I'm going to try to get away this weekend from the work, followed by zoning on the couch habit I've recently gotten into

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Oasis until they said they were bigger than the Beatles.... hmmm.... sounds like hell. I am on a four day weekend this week and then I get five days off for Thanksgiving. love the school holidays.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I will have worked 21 straight days until I get this coming Monday off (I work for a college, so I get all of the school holidays, too). Knowing me, I'll probably come in for a little while on Monday get a few things done. Oh, and yes I did the math right because I've worked the last few Sundays.

Hope you enjoy your night off. I will be here until around 10 tonight and then off to our football game (in Pasadena) tomorrow afternoon.

7:26 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Many years ago, after I jumped off the corporate fast track, I had my own pet-sitting business. It was fun dealing with animals instead of people, but the downsides were 1) working every holiday and weekend, and 2) no paid benefits / holidays / vacations / sick days.

I dig Wonderwall. The Gallagher brothers are this generations Davies brothers.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home