Sunday, November 11, 2007

For those of you who aren't in Southern California, and might be more than a little bit confused about why the writers are striking, this is a very well put together video that explains the reasons behind the strike.



Here's a more entertaining video from the cast of The Office, many of whom are also writers and writer-producers on the show.



In 1988, the writers struck for 22 weeks and the entertainment industry lost approximately $500 million. I feel so impacted by the loss of new episodes from all my favorite TV shows, including the entire season of "24" that has been put on hold until the strike can be resolved. This all makes me wonder how on earth I don't remember that last strike in the 80s. Granted I was only 17 at the time, but I did like my TV even then. However, this marks the difference in technology between then and now. Then: checking the TV guide to see when a show might be on and hoping to catch it if you're home. Now: setting all your favorite shows to Season Pass on your Tivo so you're sure to never miss an episode, no matter how long the series might run. I guess I was just too busy being a teenager, because I don't remember ever being like, "Oh my God! It's been FOREVER since there's been a new episode of Moonlighting!" Now I'm like, "What's going to happen to The Office?!" as I break into a cold sweat, thinking about all the upcoming nights of repeats and crappy reality television. I'm trying to take this time to rent all those series I have wanted to see but never have on DVD, and hopefully, the strike won't go longer than the last one. That being said, I totally support the writers in their strike endeavors. For now, I'm content to have been assured by a writer friend that the last season of The Shield has already been written, shot, and is in the can.

The song of the day is "Fight the Good Fight" by Triumph off their 1981 album Allied Forces. I hadn't thought of them in a long time until I saw a guy at work wearing a Triumph t-shirt the other day. He's a big prog-rock fan and still loves the band.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

How you feel about the Shield is how I feel about the upcoming and final season of the Wire - take this opportunity to watch the first 4 seasons - Season 5 debuts in January!

The finale of Season 4 stayed with me for days . . . no other TV show has ever affected my like that.

5:56 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - I was also told the Wire was completed already.

6:13 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Awesome song! I was actually looking up Triumph the other day, watching old videos and stuff. I found out that Rik Emmitt was inducted into the Canadian Rock Hall of Fame in 1993.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - until then . . . Dexter!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

If The Shield is already filmed and in the can, then why do we have to wait until freaking next year to see it? Break it out now!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home