Thursday, December 20, 2007

Snowboarding at Mountain High today was great. Even though there were a ton of people up there, it seemed that most of them were not on the run Madeline and I kept going down, so I got a lot of good practice in. I've been able to board on my toe edge, and then on my heel edge, but have had problems being able to transition between the two - this results in "carving" which is essentially typical snowboarding. Today, while working on my transitions, I figured out something key which helped me learn how to carve. To put it simply, I'm goofy. I had my board set up regular (left foot forward) because all of the basic tests for footedness suggested I was regular. But coming down the mountain, I found the only easy way for me to carve was by doing it with my right foot forward (goofy). After coming back from the mountain, I took my board in and had the bindings reversed, and am now looking forward to getting back out and trying the new stance out.

I don't have any photos of me carving down the mountain today because I lost my camera last time I went boarding. However, the boyfriend of the goalie on my women's team has been taking photos at our games, and I finally have a few where I look like I might know what I'm doing. Here's just a couple (I'm in black with the red helmet):

That's right - I'm trying to shoot on goal from nearly behind the goal line. I always hold on to the puck too long and find myself in this position. Ironically, this goal went in.

This is me racing into the zone. I geeked this defenseman and the next one that shows up, and sadly, was unable to put the puck in the net.

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Is geeked the same as deked?

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home